When is it time to switch to layer feed?

my silkie is on a layers mash and shes mixed up with two other chicks i have that are 6 weeks now and they like the layers mash
1f601.png
1f601.png

Azure Standard delivers to Alaska by barge. I have no idea what the delivery charges add up to but they do carry chicken food. And human food as well as some non-perishables. You just have to have a minimum order but it can be among several people (or that's how it works in their truck delivery areas).

Oh good, so I won't need my passport and a visa to travel in Alaska!

To the original poster, i offer this as a possible, standardized practice when switching feed types as your birds mature...... I always switch mine at the 16 week age or after the last bag of starter runs out. No harm, no foul. The birds are done growing by that time, and higher calcium levels won't hurt their growth and bone structure.

to the OP: Have you asked the local True Value if they will order you what you want? If they can get medicated, they can get other feeds as well. Just ask a manager if you can special order. I would think that being in AK, they may get lots of those requests. Especially since you may be ordering multiple large quantity bags at once.

Side note: I'm envious of you. My wife and I would LOVE to live in Alaska.

SpringChild - I work at True Value. They should be able to special order you a non-medicated feed as long as the warehouse stocks it. We do it at my store for. O additional cost. My store doesn't carry some of the items I use for my chickens, but almost always I can order it in special. You might ask the employees next time you are in if you have specific types of feed you want. Might be surprised!

to the OP: Have you asked the local True Value if they will order you what you want? If they can get medicated, they can get other feeds as well. Just ask a manager if you can special order. I would think that being in AK, they may get lots of those requests. Especially since you may be ordering multiple large quantity bags at once.

Side note: I'm envious of you. My wife and I would LOVE to live in Alaska.

I did exactly that and got shut down flat. I was told only store on some list are available to order special shipments to. The store has to pay to be on that list. It's the same old story. Send all the crappy stuff the lower 48 does not want to Alaska!! It's sickening that we and our babies can't get the same items as the lower 48 states.

To the original poster, i offer this as a possible, standardized practice when switching feed types as your birds mature...... I always switch mine at the 16 week age or after the last bag of starter runs out. No harm, no foul. The birds are done growing by that time, and higher calcium levels won't hurt their growth and bone structure.

This is simply not true, if you go back just a page or two, you'll see.

I have a small flock that I am keeping on chick starter until mid August at 16 weeks. Then depending on evidence of laying, plan on switching to layer mash with oyster shells available. As with anything there is always a difference of opinion on care. I am trying this method because my brother had success this way.

People make this too complicated. I've fed my chickens for years the exact same way. My chickens seem to be healthy.
Starter/grower up to around 16 weeks, then layer feed from there.

Back
Top Bottom