When will my rhode island reds start laying?

Here is a current pic just now. My roo looks good. All these ladies and gent born April 1

Last edited:

Here are my two, 23 week old girls. The one with the bigger comb stated squatting about a week ago but has no interest in the nesting boxes. They free range all day every day and eat quite a bit. The smaller one is very immature and skittish; same exact age. Should I be worried about the smaller one (Louise)?

I have two RI's and two speckled sussex they are all the same age 26 weeks. One of sussex has been laying for a month now these little itsy bitsy eggs.. LOL None of the other girls are showing signs of laying all red combs and waddles and faces but not even squatting or singing except when they are surprised by something. My one little layer now is kind of off with a impacted crop I am suspecting maybe sour now because she threw up on her own this morning.. going after a cage to put her in and isolate her and start treatment with red wine and yogurt and gentle message.. I may call the vet to see if he has any suggestions but I will not pay a vet bill to operate on a 2.50 hen. I like her she is a sweetie and I hate like heck to loose her but I cannot afford a surgery for a chicken. Not logical..

Oh, I'm sorry. Sour crop? Are they eating table scraps or anything other than feed? I try very hard to meter what and how much they eat and so far so good. Mine are now 6 mo old and laying consistently.
Good luck and please keep me posted as to what helped your sweet girl.:)

I am new to chickens. I purchased 3 Rhode Island Red pullets from a 4-H Chick Chain auction. The county agent told me they were purchased as chicks on May 13. I do not know how they were raised or fed b/c I came into the sale late and had no time to inspect the cages of the poultry available nor talk to the youth that raised them, if he/she were available. The RIR pullets are now approx. 28 weeks old. I live in Middle TN and decided not to supplement light through the winter. I'm just letting nature do what it does until all my girls get old enough to lay along with the RIRs. [I have 3 white leghorns and 2 Barred Rocks about 10 weeks younger than the RIRs] So, I told myself to wait out the winter and I should get plenty of eggs in spring! Anyway, in looking at my RIR girls, I am pretty sure they are not ready, based on the size and color of their combs. However, one of them has gone from pink and small to larger and more red, and the other two have grown and reddened a bit. A local organic farmer told me, maybe January for eggs, and I hope this is the case. When I purchased them, I gave layer pellets, then switched to half chick starter for higher protein and I provide fine-crushed egg shells. One of the girls really sings to me now, and the other two will cluck about more than they used to, when they see or hear me, knowing they are going to get attention. My question is....according to pictures here, my 28 week girls are behind standard growth, based on comparison of color and size of comb. Do you think this is because of what or how much they were fed their first 20 weeks before I got them?

I am new to chickens. I purchased 3 Rhode Island Red pullets from a 4-H Chick Chain auction. The county agent told me they were purchased as chicks on May 13. I do not know how they were raised or fed b/c I came into the sale late and had no time to inspect the cages of the poultry available nor talk to the youth that raised them, if he/she were available. The RIR pullets are now approx. 28 weeks old. I live in Middle TN and decided not to supplement light through the winter. I'm just letting nature do what it does until all my girls get old enough to lay along with the RIRs. [I have 3 white leghorns and 2 Barred Rocks about 10 weeks younger than the RIRs] So, I told myself to wait out the winter and I should get plenty of eggs in spring! Anyway, in looking at my RIR girls, I am pretty sure they are not ready, based on the size and color of their combs. However, one of them has gone from pink and small to larger and more red, and the other two have grown and reddened a bit. A local organic farmer told me, maybe January for eggs, and I hope this is the case. When I purchased them, I gave layer pellets, then switched to half chick starter for higher protein and I provide fine-crushed egg shells. One of the girls really sings to me now, and the other two will cluck about more than they used to, when they see or hear me, knowing they are going to get attention. My question is....according to pictures here, my 28 week girls are behind standard growth, based on comparison of color and size of comb. Do you think this is because of what or how much they were fed their first 20 weeks before I got them?

This could be but they should be on laying pellets to help them with egg production. Once u see them squat then u know within couple days or weeks they will start laying.

Back
Top Bottom