When will this pullet start laying?

Mccluckers

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 5, 2014
uk
So I have a pullet that hatched on the 30 th may this year and I think she is coming up to lay. She is a columbian blacktail / british tailed araucana sh is not squatting or singing the egg sing and I haven't seen her checking out the nest. See below

Thanks in advance

She's only 5.5 months old so not that old. This time of year (short days) it could be a while unless you put a light on a timer in the coop.
IMHO, squatting isn't really an indicator.
Egg song starts with one that has laid an egg and others may or may not chime in. The song is really a call, "where are your guys?" - "here we are."

HI - they are all different, but my EE's (who are related to Auraucanas) usually start laying later than the others. My June born pullets are starting to lay (cochins and RIR's), but not the Brahma's or the EE hen I have. So, IF I had to guess, I'd say maybe January. Possibly late December. Just a guess, though!

Some of my EE are laying. They were hatched on June 1st. I have 35 pullets of differing breeds, I get 8-10 eggs a day. So 2/3rds are not laying.

I use a light on a timer, starting light at 4 am.

Believe me, I know how hard it is to be patient- but my understanding is that it's totally normal for them to take 7 or 8 months or longer to get going- especially this time of year when we don't have much light.
We got four day-old chicks on April 25th-
1- The Mottled Java started early at 18 weeks
2- The Australorp started at 27 weeks
3-
Our EE just started laying a few days ago at 31 weeks (such pretty green-blue eggs)
4- still waiting for the Cuckoo Marans to start. (So eager for those dark eggs!)

Good luck!

On a positive note, the longer they wait to start, the bigger the first eggs will be and their bodies are better prepared limiting egg binding.

Back
Top Bottom