Where can you find pure breed ameraucanas not easter eggers?

LOL - come on over!!! I actually think I am going to go --- DS and I will drive up and DD can drive down from school to meet up with us, it's not quite half-way between us and where she is.

Wait...I thought you'd want to come pick me up. Road trip off.
lau.gif

Oh man.....Thelma and Louise! Don't forget to swing up to MN and pick me up! I'll bring snacks :)

I've actually been looking on http://www.ameraucana.org/ which has a lot of great information and event postings. Lots and lots to learn.

Well the EE that I have gotten from Estes, EFowl, and Cackle ALWAYS have ALL the characteristics you listed except specific feather color. (By the way muffs and beards are the same thing). Have always gotten good quality pea combs, heavy beards, friendly hens, but not always the roosters but they are roosters and beautiful light blue to greenish eggs. Nice medium sized hens that lay 4-6 eggs aweek.
You have been very lucky in your EEs. However, the true test of whether something is pure bred or not is not what they look like (or their phenotype), but what they produce (or their genotype). The wonderful thing about getting pure bred Ameraucanas from a reputable breeder is that you know they will produce true - wheatens will produce wheatens, blues will produce blues, buffs will produce buffs. With an EE, no matter how much it may look like the top winning Ameraucana you saw at the last show, it could produce various colors and traits (leg stubs, lack of muffs and beards, non-accepted colors, etc) that throw all your hard work and investment down the drain.

EEs and OEs (olive eggers, in this context, not OEGB) are lovely birds and make wonderful back yard layers, but if you're looking to show or sell pure bred Ameraucanas, the wisest choice is to start with the best you can afford and move up from there. :)

That is not true at all. Color is just one difference out of many.
Pure Ameraucana always have pea combs, always have muffs, always have beards, always is a standard color, always have white skin, and always lay blue eggs.
Easter Eggers can have any comb type; may have muffs, beards, or be clean faced; can be any pattern/color combination; can have white or yellow skin, and can lay any color egg.
With a pure Ameraucana you know exactly what you are getting.
With an Easter Egger, nothing can be guaranteed. There is a wide range of variation in temperament, overall size, rate of development, and egg color.
X3 Excellent response

I would add that true Ameraucanas will breed true, where you cannot reliably predict what an EE will produce.

There is a show coming up in Lebanon, Indiana (a bit of a drive, but may be worth it) - and it happens to be hosting the 2015 National Meet of the Ameraucana Alliance --- show is October 17th. This would be a great opportunity to identify some breeders that have birds that are what you are looking for and source your stock from their lines.
Upcoming sanctioned Ameraucana meets can be seen at http://ameraucana.org/meets.html. There is one coming up in College Station, TX this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom