Where can you find pure breed ameraucanas not easter eggers?

There is a show coming up in Lebanon, Indiana (a bit of a drive, but may be worth it) - and it happens to be hosting the 2015 National Meet of the Ameraucana Alliance --- show is October 17th. This would be a great opportunity to identify some breeders that have birds that are what you are looking for and source your stock from their lineI

I love roadtrips! Thanks for the information! I was disappointed (but fully understand why) that we didn't have poultry at the MN State Fair this year. I was really hoping to chat with local Minnesotans about their stock.

Well the EE that I have gotten from Estes, EFowl, and Cackle ALWAYS have ALL the characteristics you listed except specific feather color. (By the way muffs and beards are the same thing). Have always gotten good quality pea combs, heavy beards, friendly hens, but not always the roosters but they are roosters and beautiful light blue to greenish eggs. Nice medium sized hens that lay 4-6 eggs aweek.

Well the EE that I have gotten from Estes, EFowl, and Cackle ALWAYS have ALL the characteristics you listed except specific feather color. (By the way muffs and beards are the same thing). Have always gotten good quality pea combs, heavy beards, friendly hens, but not always the roosters but they are roosters and beautiful light blue to greenish eggs. Nice medium sized hens that lay 4-6 eggs aweek.

Actually muffs and beards are not technically the same thing. Muffs are the feathers that on the side of the face that stick out horizontally from under the eye area. Beards are the feathers that protrude from underneath the chin. Although practically speaking, I've never seen a chicken having one without the other. It's nice to know that those hatcheries have been so consistent in your EEs, but that is not always the case. I've ordered EEs from Cackle Hatchery on a number of occasions and while most of them have had beards, muffs, and pea combs, I've had an occasional one from Cackle that lacked these. Also, very few of my EEs from Cackle have actually laid blue eggs like those required of true Ameraucanas. Green eggs in some shade have been far more common and while I've never ordered EEs from Estes or EFowl, I would be expremely surprised if all of their EEs layed blue eggs. There is a genetic reason for the proliferation of green eggs in EEs. When you cross blue egg layers with brown egg layers as is the case in most hatchery EEs, the resulting eggs come out green.

The "characteristics" but not the genetics.

It might help to better familiarize with subjects on which you wish to attempt to educate others........

There is a show coming up in Lebanon, Indiana (a bit of a drive, but may be worth it) - and it happens to be hosting the 2015 National Meet of the Ameraucana Alliance --- show is October 17th. This would be a great opportunity to identify some breeders that have birds that are what you are looking for and source your stock from their lines.
Pack yer bags, OGM - we're off on a road trip!

Hi im new to byc. Im just getting back into chickens. I have bbs Ameraucanas. They are true not hatchery stock. I will be selling eggs and chicks possible early spring.

Wait...I thought you'd want to come pick me up. Road trip off.
lau.gif

Wait...I thought you'd want to come pick me up. Road trip off.
lau.gif

See, the problem with that is if I made it any further west than ,say, Kansas I'd never come back this way -- I'd just keep rolling West and not look back......but I'm sure we could find some chicken shows over that way to go to.

Back
Top Bottom