Where do you live that permits chickens?

Bram

Chirping
15 Years
May 7, 2009
Southeastern Illinois
Where do you live that permits chickens? That's my first question. And I'd love alot of responses! I don't have my girls yet. They were due this weekend. But it seems, just as I am ready to own my chickens, there's a problem with that in the small rural SE Illinois village where I live. I served 4 yrs as a Village trustee and I know they are not prohibited, but it seems that the powers that now are, read the ordinances differently. They have apparently not asked a legal opinion of the Village attorney, but are taking matters into their own hands, and they are not correct in their handling of this situation. It seems that they are trying to prohibit keeping chickens because there have been some complaints about a couple of owners. But there are ordinances on the books to deal with that. These ordinances explain the step by step procedure for violations, notice, advisement of violations, time period for remedy or abatement, and consequences if remedy is not taken. They are not using the ordinance they feel prohibits ownership, but rather using a Nuisance ordinance. The sad thing is, instead of advising the specific property/chicken owner of the complaint and the violation, they have sent out letters ordering all chicken owners to get rid of their chickens within 30 days! Nuisance ordinance violations should be handled on a case by case basis......not an across-the-board action! The board members I have spoken to as of this point, feel that there is a health hazard to the community because there are chickens within the Village limits! How ridiculous! If that were true, would any of us be here? Just let me know where you live and if your town, village, burg, city permits chickens. I'd like a long list of places where they are legal! ( They are legal here, it's just that the present board has too big of a head to think to ask an opinion of their legal officer. ) Thank you.

I don't live in the city limits, but Fayetteville Arkansas allows four hens max in the city limits. No roosters.

Since you obviously have connections, you might discuss it with the legal officer and, if the opinion matches yours, attend a council meeting and mention it. Or, better yet if you have not burned bridges, a little private lobbying with individual council members could help. Not confronting them in public where they get defensive should be the more constructive approach.

Unfortunately, throwing the baby out with the bath water is common among politicians at all levels. It is easier than coming up with a good solution to the problem, simpler to enact, and usually more popular with people that don't want to really think about it.

Good luck!

Tempe, Arizona (population 175,000) allows up to five hens in all single family residential zones. In the agricultural zone (one of the single family residential zones) there are no limits on hens or roosters.

Also, formally request that the city attorney review the ordinance and how it is being interpreted. You want a formal opinion; should the city council ignore this, they have opened themselves to personal litigation, and the city to one whopping lawsuit.

Citing healt concerns is a mark of ignorance; chickens are not more a health risk than a dog or cat or canary. Approprite response would be to require a specificied level of care for the animals and their housing, and disposal of waste. Target the nuisance, not the animal.

Can you list or link to the specific ordinance they are citing?

Renton, Washington (suburb of Seattle)

Minimum of 6000sf lot, allowed 3 hens.
For each additional 2000sf, 1 more hen.
No Roos

Imp

I live in Conewago Township, in Dover PA and I know I am legal because someone called animal control on my goats and all the officer said was "keep them penned up".

I live in Eau Claire Wisconsin which is in northwestern Wisconsin. Our city is 60+ thousand people and growing quickly. It is about 1 1/2-2 hour drive from Minneapolis/Saint Paul. I used to live on the northern edge of the city and they didnt allow chickens at all. Usually not a problem unless you get complaints. This summer I moved to the sothern part of Eau Claire just outside of the city limits, where they allow chickens. However, the southern part of Eau Claire in the city limits also allows chickens with no limits. This is because each township has its own rules and the northern and southern parts of Eau Claire are in two different townships. Eau Claire was a very rural community, but is really outgrowing that.

Last edited:
Mesa, Arizona (population 475,000-ish) allows 10 chickens on half an acre or less, as long as the coop is 75 feet from the neighbor's residence. The chickens can't run loose (that is, be outside of your yard) or create a noise disturbance and the coop and run have to be kept clean. Roosters are allowed as long as they follow the rules.

To this I'd add that there are half a dozen people in my neighborhood
who have chickens, and if I couldn't see the chickens who live in a yard with a chain link fence, I wouldn't know that anyone else had chickens from looking at the yard. And I live in the older part of town, so I'm very much 'in town'.

Quote:
Here in New England- and I suspect elsewhere- the answer to your question is not simple. It depends upon where in the particular municipality you live. My town is a rural farm community, and there is no prohibition on chickens. There are restrictions on chickens if you are a commercial poultry operation, but not if you are homeowner. Complicating matters, though, is the general wording at the beginning of the zoning ordinances which says something like, "Any use not expressly permitted is prohibited." (This seems to be pretty common around here.) Our zoning regs do allow 2 horses provided that your property is at least 2 acres, so one might argue that a couple dozen chickens impact the neighborhood less than 2 horses. At any rate, I am fortunate to live in a quiet town that values its agricultural heritage and pretty much believes in "live and let live." On my 5 acres only one neighbor would know I had chickens- at least until I get a rooster.
smile.png

My daughter lives in one of the bedroom communities adjoining Hartford. It has become very built up and lost much of its agricultural flavor. Their zoning allows chickens, but require that the chickens be kept 100 feet from any property lines, effectively preventing them from keeping chickens because their lot is only about 200 feet wide.

So you see, what matters most is not the community, but where in the community you live, and sometimes even the shape of your property.

Back
Top Bottom