Where to find Call Ducks?

4hchickmama

Songster
7 Years
May 12, 2012
My daughters would really like to have a few call ducks to use for 4H, but I am having a horrible time finding them. My problem is this, I've seen a few advertised, but when I go to look at them, they just don't seem very "typey" to me. Many seem too large, bills too long, and just not...right compared with call ducks i have seen at shows. I don't want to buy from a hatchery, but does anyone have any ideas on where to find decent ones? We don't mind doing ducklings or hatching eggs either. I've seen hatching eggs on eBay, but I fear the same result...atypical call ducks. Suggestions?

Hoping I placed this in the right section. Not quite sure where this fits in.

If your going for SQ Calls I'd vote just buy adults. Shipping Call ducklings is very risky and it would be terrible for you to spend so much on quality ducklings and lose them all in transit. Calls can be a tricky breed to hatch especially SQ ones due to their even smaller beaks. You can find some great breeders in the BST section

If your going for SQ Calls I'd vote just buy adults. Shipping Call ducklings is very risky and it would be terrible for you to spend so much on quality ducklings and lose them all in transit. Calls can be a tricky breed to hatch especially SQ ones due to their even smaller beaks. You can find some great breeders in the BST section

Thank you! I'd heard they are hard to hatch. We aren't opposed to adults either. I will check out the BST section.

Most people are still growing out this years hatch for evaluation so I wouldn't be surprised if there was not many adults on their yet. Give it a month or two and you will see much more ads and will probably have a better selection to choose from. Are there certain colors you would prefer?

Most people are still growing out this years hatch for evaluation so I wouldn't be surprised if there was not many adults on their yet. Give it a month or two and you will see much more ads and will probably have a better selection to choose from. Are there certain colors you would prefer?

They aren't picky at all about color. Honestly I wouldn't even mind something adult with a few slight faults. They girls are young and not super competitive yet. We are in California if that makes a difference.

I got my bibbed ones off of Craigslist, and they are pretty amazing. If you go to Craigslist and click on farm and garden, then type in "Duck or Ducks" there might be some for sale in your area :)

These are the ones I purchased, they look bad because they where the awkward phase of having duckling fuzz and feathers lol.

Them enjoying the pool with their new friends (rouens) :)

Last edited:
I actually found some ducklings on craigslist in my area for $5-$8....but Im unsure on quality. They don't have to be perfect by any means, but I'd like something nice enough for them to show at fair, keeping in mind they are Primary and Novice in Poultry and Waterfowl. Would I be breaking any rules to put the link here for opinions?

I actually found some ducklings on craigslist in my area for $5-$8....but Im unsure on quality. They don't have to be perfect by any means, but I'd like something nice enough for them to show at fair, keeping in mind they are Primary and Novice in Poultry and Waterfowl. Would I be breaking any rules to put the link here for opinions?
Im not sure about the link, Ive seen people do it before... And I bought the one for 20 dollers and the other I traded 4 of my Indian Runners for. And if you did buy them and put them into a show and see where those perticular ones stand so you then can find great ones while you daughters still have one or 2 to have and use as starting point :)

Also Holderread's has some nice type calls but they always sell out early in the season: http://holderreadfarm.com/adult_birds_price_list_page/adult_birds_price_list.htm
They have beautiful birds, and they aren't ridiculously expensive either...and at least on the same coast as me.
lol.png

Im not sure about the link, Ive seen people do it before... And I bought the one for 20 dollers and the other I traded 4 of my Indian Runners for. And if you did buy them and put them into a show and see where those perticular ones stand so you then can find great ones while you daughters still have one or 2 to have and use as starting point :)

That is a very good point. Perhaps use them as a starting point and then keep looking for some that are higher quality for them to use as they advance. Hmmmmm..... Well this is the link...I apologize if I am breaking rules: http://sacramento.craigslist.org/grd/3118172039.html

Back
Top Bottom