Which breed do you prefer?

When you say your orps are broody does that mean they don't want to give up their eggs?? We are thinking of getting 3 as our first chickens just for eggs, no rooster but dont want to have a problem with crabby girls.
Three out of our five are very broody and cackle and peck and put up a great fuss if we try to "steal" her eggs.
One in particular would fluff up so big that we called her the "turkey buff". She got the angriest of the three. Great entertainment but they aren't the best layers. If I had to do it over I wouldn't have gotten Buff Orpingtons.

Three out of our five are very broody and cackle and peck and put up a great fuss if we try to "steal" her eggs.
One in particular would fluff up so big that we called her the "turkey buff". She got the angriest of the three. Great entertainment but they aren't the best layers. If I had to do it over I wouldn't have gotten Buff Orpingtons.
For a first timer I really don't want a breed that is going to be crabby at me. lol I want chickens that will like to be handled, hardy for MN weather and good layers. I love to learn from others, this forum is fantastic!!

Barred Rocks, Australorps, Sussex, Orpingtons, Wyandottes, They are all good! I have barred rocks and they are great, I would highly recommend them!
Good Luck!
frow.gif
Ok tried this once, didn't post. we love our orps(lavender and buffs), australorps are amazing layers and gentle, I have blrw( gorgeous) and one lone silver laced, just got coronation sussex(already in luv), barred rocks are great also(not my favorite, just love some others more but they are great), ameracauna's r cool 2, but the most elegant I have had is the Brahma's(I have Gold laced, Buff Laced, Light love them all).It is all in what u are looking for.

I have Black Copper Marans, RIR Commercial, RIR Heritage, Americanas and Salmon Faverolles. The Salmon Faverolles are very sweet but their docile personality puts them at the bottom of the pecking order, even the rooster is a push over, they are good layers but the eggs are medium size. the Marans are on the grumpy side, they dont like you to handle them much and the rooster is a grouch, they are good layers of lg dark brown eggs that are very creamy. Americanas are docile, they are good layers of medium green and blue eggs but like to escape the coop, the commercial RIR is a bit aloof and she is a great layer of large eggs, but the Heritage are sweeties and they are the best layers of jumbo size eggs. I love them the best, i am looking for RIR heritage to incubate this spring.

Back
Top Bottom