Which breed of rooster will protect my hens best?

I lost my LARGE dark brahma roo to a juvenile male red tail hawk earlier this week. He protected the hens, but he was my "sweet" roo. The **** hawk was back right after 7a the next day, injured one of my cinnamon queens, and one of my Roen ducks. My light brahma went after him as he tried take off with the cinnamon. Had no choice but to shoot him. This was "inside" my pen. I have gone 2 years without a problem. Mainly the four legged variety. I have every kind of netting, tarps,cover, fishing line etc. My girls were very unhappy being locked in their runs. I have been leaving one of my Rotts out during the day, to keep an eye. I have another LARGE hawk that has never bothered anything. Has lived here peacefully for years. I was thinking maybe this was a new commer. I have 4 neighbors within 2 sq mi with poultry too. Any ideas?

I lost my LARGE dark brahma roo to a juvenile male red tail hawk earlier this week. ..... The **** hawk was back right after 7a the next day, injured one of my ....Had no choice but to shoot him. This was "inside" my pen. ....I have every kind of netting, tarps,cover, fishing line etc. ....Any ideas?

Like the rooster looks for treats to feed to his hens, male Red Tail Hawks engage in the same feeding behavior toward his mates. It may be a little early yet but to secure breeding rights Red Tail males must prove to the female of the species that if he is anything, he is a reliable and a prolific provider.

Get one of these rooster!
I think a hawk would think twice before attacking the flock!

What kind of pen did you brood him in, a stove pipe?
lau.gif

I checked into this bird. I think it will work for me. Might have to modify my coop doors? I have 20" tall doors. Don't know if they can duck down that far?

My bird says that little chunks of hawk are good for baiting in hens.
lol. I noticed a huge drop off in predators when I had 2 silver phoenix roos. The super long tail makes them look scary and nonchickeny to predators. The few times there was an attack the length of tail would be gone but bird was okay. One night the head phoenix roo a super sweet awesome guy alerted us at 3am about a raccoon. Smart enough to not fight and just come to me direct.

Back
Top Bottom