Which feathers are the saddle/hackle feathers in this pic?

Momaha

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 20, 2011
Sooner Nation WWHQ
Which feathers specifically are the saddle/hackle feathers in this pic and which gender do such feathers grow on? (Picture from forum sticky). Thanks!

83267_am1-top-4wks-1.jpg

There aren't any saddle or hackle feathers showing in your picture since the bird is too young to have them. Roosters grow hackle and sickle feathers (though in some breeds the roosters are hen-feathered). In this picture, you can see the hackle feathers at the neck and the sickle feathers in the tail (large sickles), and just in front of the tail (small sickles).

9311_images.jpg

Quote:
Wow! Is that your rooster? He is simply stunning! The pic in my post above came from the forum sticky so thank you for the info and back to my question. My white leghorns are 5 weeks old today and I ordered pullets from Cackle where they have a 95% gaurantee and naturally I am curious about that other 5%.

Do you know what some of the first signs of a roo are in White Leghorns? Should I be seeing sickles at 5 weeks? It's easy to distinguish the adults and here are some adult pics from Cackle:

83267_white_leghorn_std_rooster.jpg

83267_white_leghorn_std_hen.jpg

By 5 weeks all my Roo's had signs of a good comb growing in...(larger and more red than the Pullets....really that is the main sign at that age.

Quote:
FYI the smail feathers you are calling small sickels are called SADDLE FEATHERS not small silckes the sickles are the latg tail feathers that are curved and look like a sickle
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom