which of these breeds is the nicest?

COOLNARWHALZ

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 26, 2014
Varnell, GA
Buff Orpington, Rhode Island Red, silkie, barred rock, or black copper marans?

I need two more chickens for my flock and these breeds all seem cool, so which of this breed is the friendliest?

I've had every breed on your list and I would definitely have to say that Silkies and Buff Orpingtons are the friendliest, sweetest, and most gentle birds on your list. My children made lap pets of both breeds. I love Silkies, but if you have standard sized breeds already in your flock, I would recommend the Orpingtons instead of the Silkies as the Silkies are bantams and could take a real battering from your larger birds. Also, if eggs are important to you, Buff Orpingtons are better layers and lay much larger eggs than Silkies.

Agree you probably don't want to add a silkie to an existing flock. They're sweet little birds, but the other birds often see their docility as weakness. I'd say go with a buff Orpington and either the Rock or the Marans.

I love them all! Silkies are super docile, even the roosters, Buff Orpingtons are cute, Rhode Islands are sweet but can sometimes be a little aggressive towards other birds, and same with the Barred Rocks. If you are looking for an egg laying breed, Silkies are probably not the best. Silkies are also usually on the bottom of the pecking order too. I would probably choose the Buff Orpington or the Rhode Island.

Back
Top Bottom