Which trait should I select for?

Which bird would you select?

• 1. Big is better

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • 2. The white can easily be bread out and lacing is king.

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • 3. Tail plumage is most important

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Heron's Nest Farm

Songster
8 Years
Dec 11, 2011
Oregon
I have 3 blue orpington roosters now 8 months old.

1. is gigantic. His lacing is OK. His comb has 6 spikes but one of them is a little misshaped.

2. is a little darker, lacing is the best and he is an average weight. His comb is perfect BUT he has a little white on his red under his ear. I like him best, but I am concerned about this defect.

3. not great lacing, average wieght, gorgeous tail, comb has 7 points.

What would you select for? The second bird has the best temperament and I love his comb, but I am really concerned about this color defect. All of their legs are correct color.

What would you select for?

You can just poll or give me your thoughts. Thanks so much!

Last edited:
What are your goals in breeding these birds? Does your line have trouble with size, or do you want to improve color more? Pick the bird that best improves your line. He may not be perfect, but if he can take your line of Orpingtons in the right direction, choose him. For example, if I had a line that was rather small (below standard weight), I'd choose the heaviest bird and work from there. If my birds were already in the accepted weight range for Orpingtons, I'd focus on color.

If there really is definite pure enamel white on the earlobe, that would be a disqualification and the bird probably shouldn't be bred. However, if it is just a lighter red/pink, I wouldn't be too concerned. Other than the earlobe problem, he seems like the best choice. But I would never breed a bird with a disqualification.

Great answer!

Unfortunately it is WHITE. Blaring white. I am so sad as his lacing is amazing. Also, we have cuddle time and it is sad to see him become soup, but....

Welsummers have the same thing. White (on the wings though) is an automatic fault and grounds for disqualification from shows. I would see if you could breed it out of him. Hopefully the white is just a recessive trait that happened to show up in this particular guy. If he has great lacing, its worth a shot.

I would cull number 3. I'd keep number 1 as a back up. I'd breed number 2 and see how that white carries down. Can you post a pic?

Will post pics tomorow
big_smile.png

Rooster 1

He's about 11 lb right now at 6 months almost 7
This pic makes the shadows of his feathers look like lacing, but there is virtually none.

Can you see the slight bulb on the third point dead center? It looks like there is a little mohogany, but there isn't.

Rooster 2
That is blaring white! He is 9 lb, same age. He has poop on his head, not white in comb. I love his comb although the last point is slightly obscured by the angle

The lighting doesn't do his lacing justice. I tried but it is the best I could do

Rooster 3
I found 2 red feathers in his hackles today, so I think he is out. He lost a comb spike to someone. He is 9lb . His lacing is dull but his tail is really quite nice.

Anyone wishing to really critique any of these birds is welcome. I am developing my eye and focusing on feathering and comb.

From the pics I like number 1 the best. He just looks more nicely balanced to my eye. I have no idea about breeding for comb points, so I can't help you with that.

Back
Top Bottom