White Cornish: Building a Quality, Sustainable Flock for Meat and More.....

Pics
Another pic of my current #1 choice for next year. If his head continues to develop he may replace my pen A rooster. He's 41/2 months old.

My second place contender is my younger white blue laced cockerel (courtesy of my spray bottle) which may take ownership of the yet to be occupied pen B. He's got nice think and a bit shorter shanks then the others and his back is coming on. Head development will be the tie breaker for him.

Oh yeah, the big cat is going to go by the way. Dang I didn't know I had so many bobcats around. From u game cam pics this I'd a third one to show up. Bigger than all the rest.
IMAG0391.jpg
IMAG0392.jpg
IMAG0396.jpg
IMAG0399.jpg
MFDC0015.JPG
IMAG0391.jpg
IMAG0392.jpg
IMAG0396.jpg
IMAG0399.jpg
MFDC0015.JPG

Another pic of my current #1 choice for next year. If his head continues to develop he may replace my pen A rooster. He's 41/2 months old.

My second place contender is my younger white blue laced cockerel (courtesy of my spray bottle) which may take ownership of the yet to be occupied pen B. He's got nice think and a bit shorter shanks then the others and his back is coming on. Head development will be the tie breaker for him.

Oh yeah, the big cat is going to go by the way. Dang I didn't know I had so many bobcats around. From u game cam pics this I'd a third one to show up. Bigger than all the rest. View attachment 1461320 View attachment 1461321 View attachment 1461355 View attachment 1461356 View attachment 1461357 View attachment 1461320 View attachment 1461321 View attachment 1461355 View attachment 1461356 View attachment 1461357
Wow that cat almost has a cougar appearance. Definitely far to interested in your coop.
Here’s some of mine hatched 5-20-18 and 6-1. I’m hoping to have 2 different lines to work with if they all live long enough.

C8F6C294-188B-4544-A7FE-E5D1682FE376.jpeg
A9E07B7B-2F4A-4937-A8EF-27FFA96A65BC.jpeg

Wow that cat almost has a cougar appearance. Definitely far to interested in your coop.
Here’s some of mine hatched 5-20-18 and 6-1. I’m hoping to have 2 different lines to work with if they all live long enough.

View attachment 1461492 View attachment 1461493

Do you have this book. It very readable and understandable. It's all about the title. I thought I understood line/in breeding but after reading this book I realized I was only using half of its power.

A lot of people have crazy prices on these birds and that's not a guarantee they are going to produce winners. Unless eggs or day old chicks are purchased, a good breeder will only sell their second, third best. A good breeder will never sell off his best stock. That can be taken to the bank.
Anyway the book is available from the American Bantam Society.

Yeah that cat is big. I thought this one was big back in January but this one is larger but doesn't have the belly spots the earlier one had.
IMAG0240.jpg
045.JPG
076.JPG

Do you have this book. It very readable and understandable. It's all about the title. I thought I understood line/in breeding but after reading this book I realized I was only using half of its power.

A lot of people have crazy prices on these birds and that's not a guarantee they are going to produce winners. Unless eggs or day old chicks are purchased, a good breeder will only sell their second, third best. A good breeder will never sell off his best stock. That can be taken to the bank.
Anyway the book is available from the American Bantam Society.

Yeah that cat is big. I thought this one was big back in January but this one is larger but doesn't have the belly spots the earlier one had. View attachment 1461648 View attachment 1461650 View attachment 1461651
No I don’t have that book, I’ll be looking it up thanks.

Yes, as I found out they do have better pens, they even told me they did. Managed to get one of their “better” eggs to hatch. It hatched yellow the rest hatched browns and black and white. They are mostly white now. The second sellers all hatched white well yellow as it should. It’s going to be interesting how they pan out. I’ve been working on the structure of my other birds using Walter Hogan’s method for several years.
The cats are spooky. We used to have a cougar here but I think the new neighbor has taken care of that.

No I don’t have that book, I’ll be looking it up thanks.

Yes, as I found out they do have better pens, they even told me they did. Managed to get one of their “better” eggs to hatch. It hatched yellow the rest hatched browns and black and white. They are mostly white now. The second sellers all hatched white well yellow as it should. It’s going to be interesting how they pan out. I’ve been working on the structure of my other birds using Walter Hogan’s method for several years.
The cats are spooky. We used to have a cougar here but I think the new neighbor has taken care of that.

Through various transactions I had acquired some very pricey stock from an individual with supposedly a squeaky clean reputation. This year a pairing of that stock produced this.

While I don't have the providence to prove whose stock this is, the fact that another Cornish owner who purchased stock directly from this individual had a chick hatch with identical markings so that pretty much closes the book on where it came from.

Gonna have look up your reference.
IMAG0254.jpg

Through various transactions I had acquired some very pricey stock from an individual with supposedly a squeaky clean reputation. This year a pairing of that stock produced this.

While I don't have the providence to prove whose stock this is, the fact that another Cornish owner who purchased stock directly from this individual had a chick hatch with identical markings so that pretty much closes the book on where it came from.

Gonna have look up your reference. View attachment 1461833
Shoot that looks very similar to the Bresse I got. I was told that it was because they were in the sunshine. Funny thing is they were in an enclosed coop that may have had some sunshine though the spaces in the boards. Very disappointed and frustrating. If it wasn’t so wrong they would have been pretty.
I believe the book he wrote is The Call of the Hen. He’s definitely full of himself however his work with chickens is amazing.
The shipping on the white Cornish eggs took its toll on them. From both sellers. It’s like they froze during flight most were wet. From different parts of the country. One out of 11 shipped not good. And it’s struggling to make it.

Last edited:
Shoot that looks very similar to the Bresse I got. I was told that it was because they were in the sunshine. Funny thing is they were in an enclosed coop that may have had some sunshine though the spaces in the boards. Very disappointed and frustrating. If it wasn’t so wrong they would have been pretty.
I believe the book he wrote is The Call of the Hen. He’s definitely full of himself however his work with chickens is amazing.
The shipping on the white Cornish eggs took its toll on them. From both sellers. It’s like they froze during flight most were wet. From different parts of the country. One out of 11 shipped not good. And it’s struggling to make it.

Really how does sunlight cause those barred markings. Amazing what some people say because that was what was said to them and eventually becomes gospel. That chick was never exposed to any sunlight.

They say Cornish sometimes will pull gold when in Sun. Put the same in full.shade and they will still pull gold. It doesn't matter the environment. If they don't have that gene they won't pull.gold in sun or shade.

Back
Top Bottom