White Jersey Giants

one of my Jersey pullets

Last edited:
There's a show this weekend in Modesto, CA where West Coast JGs and a few others will be, along with the National Jersey Giant Club. Unfortunately, I won't be making the 9 hour drive (and the cost to travel by train is ridiculous!) So I'll have to wait for pictures of the event.

However, I will be getting another white JG chick this summer! Just one along with a few other large fowl chicks for now. No breeding, just for fun. Fingers crossed :)

As a lifetime poultry-man I've always been fascinated by the flexibility and resilience of chickens (Gallus domesticus) generally. They are one of the easiest of all domesticated animals to be manipulated and changed to suit the times and the people who raise them.

Well times have certainly changed and now many of the old standards are in danger of becoming extinct. As a result I've spent the first half of my career raising chickens and now I'll spend the rest of my time attempting to secure heritage breeds from extinction.

To this end one of my pet projects is to restore the White Jersey Giant both to American Poultry Standards of Perfection as well as secure enough genetic material to keep the bloodlines secure.

So I am asking everyone that has Giants here to post and let me know about your stock, where you got it, how long you've had it and if you intend to keep your stock.

Since I know most of you will usually only have Black or Blue Giants I still would like you to post here and let me know about them..

Also if you hatch your Black and Blue Giants let me know if you ever get any "whites" (sport) from your hatches and if your will sell them directly to me.

I know there is a good interest in the Blues today so I would remind all you Blue fanciers and fans out that that Blue is a hybrid resulting directly from a White Giant Hen. A single hen mind you from which all Blues can trace back to. So  I hope you can see the importance of my work with Whites.

Thank you for reading and helping with my research and work.

Thank you.

Allen W Miller
HillHaven Farm
. After 5 years of breeding blue black and splash Jerseys I have within the last 2 months had 5 chicks produced of odd blue color and turning what looks to be white. I have more questions than I seem to be able to get answers at this point from Jersey breeders I know. All say they have never had this happen. I only have Giants so there is no crossbreeding of any kind going on. I know my stock is pure and know where I purchased all my original starts from. Allen I would love to hear from you and find out more about the whites. I do believe my stock is possibly producing white sports.

Last edited:
. After 5 years of breeding blue black and splash Jerseys I have within the last 2 months had 5 chicks produced of odd blue color and turning what looks to be white. I have more questions than I seem to be able to get answers at this point from Jersey breeders I know. All say they have never had this happen. I only have Giants so there is no crossbreeding of any kind going on. I know my stock is pure and know where I purchased all my original starts from. Allen I would love to hear from you and find out more about the whites. I do believe my stock is possibly producing white sports.

I at one time was searching for White Jersey Giants, but never found any that I could afford.

Looking at the above hen she does look like a dirty white. But, I don't think she's really white. I've read that too many Splash to Splash breeding together over several generations could produce some washouts. Now I don't know if that is what you're doing, breeding Splash to Splash, but just throwing a suggestion out there.

@draye If your still looking I don't know how much April Robb sells white giant hatching eggs for but I hear she has really nice birds. She's a breeder in PA. If I heard of her before I would probably went with hers. I'm happy with these ones from Sand Hill, though I'm down to just a trio. Eggs going in incubator first week of May, see what happens.
This is her website just in case your still interested;
http://robstriplepfarm.webs.com/

@draye If your still looking I don't know how much April Robb sells white giant hatching eggs for but I hear she has really nice birds. She's a breeder in PA. If I heard of her before I would probably went with hers. I'm happy with these ones from Sand Hill, though I'm down to just a trio. Eggs going in incubator first week of May, see what happens.
This is her website just in case your still interested;
http://robstriplepfarm.webs.com/

Thanks for the link.
I may try some in the future, but right now since I'm working NN's, I'll work with what I have. I'll need some layer for size. Seems like there have been a lot of small breeds added to the NN of years past.

Back
Top Bottom