White spot on pupil? Going blind?

andreacroyle

Songster
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
Florida
One of the ducks I have adopted/rescued has a spot inside of her pupil. She had had it since we rescued her 3 months ago. She has recovered well and acts just as healthy as all the other ducks.She came from a neglect situation so who knows what she could have picked up. I googled it and all sorts of things came up (blindness, parasites) so I wanted to get an opinion from all of you. What do you think @Miss Lydia @livininbrazil ? Anyone have an opinion on this? I am thinking old age blindness or parasites at some point in her life that damaged her retina.
Anyone have a guess on how old this hen is?

One of the ducks I have adopted/rescued has a spot inside of her pupil. She had had it since we rescued her 3 months ago. She has recovered well and acts just as healthy as all the other ducks.She came from a neglect situation so who knows what she could have picked up. I googled it and all sorts of things came up (blindness, parasites) so I wanted to get an opinion from all of you. What do you think @Miss Lydia @livininbrazil ? Anyone have an opinion on this? I am thinking old age blindness or parasites at some point in her life that damaged her retina.
Anyone have a guess on how old this hen is?

Do you think she´s actually blind? Is her eyeball itself swollen, or is it the flesh around the eye? From what Ican tell from the pics, her eyeball looks ok, apart from the slight spot, but the flesh looks a bit odd. maybe an injury. She´ll look better aonce she´s got her feathers back. she looks happy enough, though.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
It looks a bit like a cataract, but it could be anything from blunt trauma damage to a corneal infection to eye worm. Have you taken her to a vet?

Do you think she´s actually blind? Is her eyeball itself swollen, or is it the flesh around the eye? From what Ican tell from the pics, her eyeball looks ok, apart from the slight spot, but the flesh looks a bit odd. maybe an injury. She´ll look better aonce she´s got her feathers back. she looks happy enough, though.
big_smile.png
her eye is not swollen, they just look "popped out" because i made my son hold her still for the pic. if you look at the close up middle pic you can see a ... lack of reflection or grey spot in the middle of her retina. I think she can see out of it and is in no pain and yes, has been there unchanged since the day we got her a few months ago. oh and its only in one eye and definitely the retina. its hard to tell from the pic , but the spot isnt on the cornea like a cataract. I will double check to make sure she sees out of it.

It looks a bit like a cataract, but it could be anything from blunt trauma damage to a corneal infection to eye worm. Have you taken her to a vet?
It's not on the cornea , but further down inside on the retina or lens. she was abused and beat up when we got her so it could have been from trauma. i know there is a parasitic infection that can cause retinal damage. I havent taken her to the vet. i have limited funds. it doesnt seem to be bothering her in anyway, but if it does (or if she acts sick) she will see a vet.

Back
Top Bottom