white sumatra

I have to say I love the white sumatra. I have never seen white in a sumatra before.
love.gif

they are beautiful Champ. Google image them. Most will be from the UK on an image search. I have been breeding towards theme here too for a while, but some nice imports will be better.

and no sumatras are not a fibro melanistic breed ( black skinned)
yes fibro skin is a DQ in them, in any country
Gypsy ( black / purple) face is not indications of a fibro melanistic bird.

A sumatra is supposed to have yellow skin, black face and comb and black legs with the sole of the foot being yellow as well.

There is a diluter or something with the blue that tends to lighten up the face and combs alot. You virtually never see a true dark face on blues, and even less on splash. It happens, I have some in hens, but it's very rare. They are still smutty looking dark red, just no where near as dark as the blacks are. Same seems to hold true on whites, though I believe the major problem in the US whites is they are very mixed and just not refined enough. I dont think the recessive white gene should dilute face pigments like the blue gene does. Case in point would be the over seas stock.
Another thing I have noticed on the faces is sun exposer. Fully sheltered birds faces dont tend to get as dark as ones who have out in the open access . These are just some personal observations in my own birds. But over the past years of working with them, I have noticed birds in the sun get darker faced than ones that stay sheltered from it. Sun tan maybe?

The black skin, dark meat Sumatra will add some good features to the light skin sumatras.
When you mix dark skin, dark meat to light chickens some crazy things happening you will start getting (dark skin light meat bird, dark meat light skin birds , some others , dark meat light skin with dark spots on their faces)
I'll try to post more pictures of I can find them

The first bird is totally light skin light meat with dark spot on its face.
The second one dark meat,light skin with dark spots
I sold one golden color which the meat and skin was all dark.

Last edited:
yes if you breed fibro into a sumatra you can get that. It takes 2 copies of it to make the bird totally black threw out, that's why on F1's you get that sort of mix.
A single copy figro bird will not be totally black threw out. It will be darker than a non fibro bird, but with that second copy added in, everything goes black.

But again, by standard this is not supposed to be the case for sumatras. Projects are fine, got 'em myself. But sumatras by the breed are yellow skinned birds. The dark face has nothing to do with a fibro melanistic gene.

yep they should have. I have fibro in some of the phoenix I got from Toni-Marie. the single dose ones arent nearly as dark skinned as a double dosed one. Plus with the naturally dark face of a sumatra, even a single dose should make them appear darker I would think

Back
Top Bottom