Whiting True Blues

This spring I finally decided to get chickens again after years of not having any. I researched and the first chickens I decided I wanted unfortunately seem to no longer exist. So the research began again and I finally found whiting true blues! They were were colorful, and prolific and they laid blue eggs! So I set out to find a breeder or hatchery that sold chicks. I lucked out and got an order in early with a small hatchery. Unfortunately they cancelled and Murray McMurray was sold out for the year. Then I received a message on here from a nice woman who put me in touch with a breeder a few hours away! I set up a date to go pick up a dozen eggs, she also threw in two English Orpington eggs. Fast forward three weeks and 11 chicks hatched, ten Whitings and one fat Orpington chick. The color variety is probably my favorite part. Hatching chicks is always fun but not knowing what will pop out just adds to it.
I really want to hear from others who have raised them, tell us your experiences and share your photos.
The color variety of the birds has been a plus for me! My birds are in their second year of laying and they lay well and are relatively easy on the food. I started with getting mostly medium eggs (as advertised for starters) but they do lay mostly large and some extra large eggs since they matured. I have one who lays an xlarge olive colored egg instead of the nice "baby" blue eggs the others lay. Overall, I am happy with these birds! Great source of popular blue eggs!

I’m glad you like them! Did you get yours from Murray McMurray? I need to update this thread with pictures but I’ve been working so much it’s hard to get anything done. Gotta love the auto industry lol
I did get them from Murray McMurray. I have been buying chicks from them since the 1970's by mail order of course in those days. I have usually been very happy with the quality. Sorry the only photos I have ready of them are old, when they were chicks/young birds. I will try and get you a picture or two of my birds, they are all healthy but of course several different colors and patterns, etc., typical of photos of others I have seen. From Black to tan and white and everything between! I have gotten some show quality birds several times from MMHatchery.

I’m glad you like them. I just wanted something fun to breed and that layer blue eggs. I liked that they are such a wild variety of colors. I will say, they still aren’t very friendly. Not quite as skittish as they were but these are never going to be lap chickens lol.

How’s everyone’s birds doing? Mine are proving to very healthy and still flighty. Not as bad as when they were young but they are never going to be friendly which is fine. I’ve culled all my roosters except the one I want to use in the spring. He’s a little ruffled right now but I think he’s unique. I plan on putting him over my blue and black hens and hopefully creating some cuckoo type whitings. That’s the hope anyways. I actually like the red and hopefully some will have it.

Attachments

• IMG_6365.jpeg
    IMG_6365.jpeg
    811.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6369.jpeg
    IMG_6369.jpeg
    819.5 KB · Views: 18
My Whiting's have been laying well for two seasons now. Mostly large eggs and while not as calm as some others are not too flighty, except one, who is a bit standoffish. They just slowed down laying in the last week and look like a couple may be going into a molting. They have laid as well as most commercial layers, so far. I am satisfied with them, but I do have one who lays olive eggs instead of blue.

We just got our first Whiting True Blue egg. Birds were born end of April. So took them about 5 months to lay. The egg was much bluer than anything my Prairie Bluebells have produced. I hope it doesn't fade too much as it goes from pullet to regular size. 5 hens, 1 roo, only 2-3 of the hens have large red wattles and comb yet. All the blue layers I've had so far seem to have taken forever to lay. The Red Stars, and Ginger Broilers I got at the same time have been laying for at least a month.

Back
Top Bottom