Whiting True Blues

Pics
I have had a couple hens that did not lay until nearly a year old and go on to become good layers for years to come afterwards. That is not the norm but it happens. A couple have laid very early on as well and were never great layers. Just like children , all may be different in behavior and outcomes. I seldom give up in less than a year on a bird, except for severe deformity or illness that they likely will never recover from. A couple months or so, range is fairly typical between and even within breeds. Often, in a large brood, when a couple start laying it seems to spur the others on to lay and most start soon afterwards, just breed and environmental factors in regards to the timing likely. That is not always the case, however, and slow starters are common. Give them a chance if you can afford the feed.
Not to worry, even if Martha never lays, she'll have a home with us. My 8 girls are really "pets with benefits" and already my husband and I are overwhelmed with eggs! Nobody who visits (or when we visit them) gets away without taking at least a dozen fresh eggs. [So far,no complaints, unlike with zucchini...;) ]

I forgot to say in my previous statements that my WTB's were a bit slower to start than some others, but not dissimilar other breeds or individuals birds I have had over the years. This last brood that included WTB's laid about two to four weeks after my Welsummers and Orpingtons did in that brood. They seem to tend to be slow to start, judging from that experience. The Black Minorcas started right in the middle of those breeds, a week or two after the first two did and just before the WTB's. That was my first experience with WTB's, so the info is limited! I will get more of them because they offer variety for my eye and the popular blue eggs in abundance, this next spring likely.
They were a little late to start but it is fall so I can forgive them. They do lay a nice blue egg though. I hope they increase in size lol. I know they will, they just look so small when they first start laying.

Okay! So, Martha laid her first pale blue pullet egg yesterday, and another one today, so she's up and rolling!

Probably just in time for everyone to slow down with the shorter, dimmer autumn days ahead, but she did it! She started squatting for me (sometimes) yesterday and hangs around me a lot more when I'm working in their chicken yard, instead of scurrying away as soon as any hand-held treats run out. ["Hormones," my husband teased.]

Okay! So, Martha laid her first pale blue pullet egg yesterday, and another one today, so she's up and rolling!

Probably just in time for everyone to slow down with the shorter, dimmer autumn days ahead, but she did it! She started squatting for me (sometimes) yesterday and hangs around me a lot more when I'm working in their chicken yard, instead of scurrying away as soon as any hand-held treats run out. ["Hormones," my husband teased.]
FYI, it actually is hormones that makes her more "friendly" now. Now that she is mature enough to mate (with accompanying hormones), she'll respond to you like she would to a dominant hen or roo. Her natural curiosity will help her stick around also to check out what you're doing.

Congrats on your gorgeous eggs!!!

71805740470__5EB069B6-A737-442E-8615-269E44F9CB3A.jpeg

Getting two to three a day. They are a pretty shade of blue. They are starting to get a little larger.

FYI, it actually is hormones that makes her more "friendly" now. Now that she is mature enough to mate (with accompanying hormones), she'll respond to you like she would to a dominant hen or roo. Her natural curiosity will help her stick around also to check out what you're doing.

Congrats on your gorgeous eggs!!!
Hormones galore! She's not only squatting for and hanging around with me, she started mounting the two younger Easter Eggers and "playing rooster", holding onto their head feathers with her beak and really going for it. And yesterday, I saw her mount the Black Australorp (who's 2 rungs up the pecking order from her!) and do the same thing! She's laying almost daily, and often watches other girls on the nest closely then sings the egg song FOR them when they've laid. Total personality change from "Miss Meek and Flighty"! The dominant Big 5 still don't let her roost with them at night - she still sleeps with the bottom-ranking Easter Eggers. Chickens are endlessly fascinating!

Hormones galore! She's not only squatting for and hanging around with me, she started mounting the two younger Easter Eggers and "playing rooster", holding onto their head feathers with her beak and really going for it. And yesterday, I saw her mount the Black Australorp (who's 2 rungs up the pecking order from her!) and do the same thing! She's laying almost daily, and often watches other girls on the nest closely then sings the egg song FOR them when they've laid. Total personality change from "Miss Meek and Flighty"! The dominant Big 5 still don't let her roost with them at night - she still sleeps with the bottom-ranking Easter Eggers. Chickens are endlessly fascinating!
She definitely sounds like a crazy teenager lol. Because there are only a few laying, all of the birds circle the next boxes and go nuts when my pullets lay an egg. It’s like some kind of lion king stuff!

She definitely sounds like a crazy teenager lol. Because there are only a few laying, all of the birds circle the next boxes and go nuts when my pullets lay an egg. It’s like some kind of lion king stuff!
My rooster has been helping my ladies lay their first egg lately.. follows them in the box and scratches and squats lol

He also egg sings when they lay lol

Back
Top Bottom