Who has had good luck with buying a coop online?

Well, the coop is put together but plans for waterproofing/painting etc, are on the shelf for a day or two. The www.cconlystore.com coop I ordered does look a little flimsy, yet it seems sturdy enough. I will reinforce as needed to be sure it stays together and is stronger where it needs to be stronger. A few pieces of 2X2s for bracing mostly. The 2 center roosts fall out easily and will need to be screwed to the outside boards to stay in place thus making them a little more difficult to clean and not easily removed. I have to reinforce the hardware cloth, change the 'latches' on every door/window/access as any raccoon could promptly open them, and one piece of finishing trim was broken/split on arrival. It was probably attached/glued like the other side and was damaged in shipping, but can be replaced and will not show when the coop is painted. I am basically building a strong base and attaching the coop and run to it to get it up of the ground by at least 18"-24" and to keep predators out. I expected this additional expense but as I stated before, I needed a coop right now and it will serve its purpose. It will still be easily transported to the new house on a utility trailer, once dismantled into 2 pieces. When all is said and done, I will probably have around $400 in this little coop and run and that is if I use some of the extra wood I have in the garage. My only qualms about this coop is that it is supposed to be designed for at least 8 chickens and I just can't see them as all full grown in there. I know chicks like company but I think it is still small. 2 of my larger girls, at 6 weeks, barely fit in one nesting box.
Thanks for the additional info! I think this has helped me make my decision. I was hoping to keep the cost down, but I think I'm going to spend the extra $$ and do it right the 1st time.

I've got an email out to urban coops to see if 2 runs can be added to the round top coop for additional space. Also, I've contacted some local people to see how much $ it would be to build something similar to the CCONLY coop on site. I'm not as concerned with the coop, but I want to make sure there is a lot of run space as free ranging isn't an option in my urban setting.

Thanks again for your review!

I heard back from Urbancoops & you CAN attach 2 runs to the round top coop in case anyone else was wondering!

I'm thinking, unless someone local can build me one for less $$...that is who I am going to go with.

We received our CConly Coop last week and we love it so far... we had a bit of broken trim and they are mailing us out a new part this week. They were really nice about it. We ordered the 78 series and I elevated the roosts to make them above the nesting boxes, which I have read is best... I plan on only putting one side of the nesting boxes up to start and they won't even be open for business fro another few months... not until they are about laying age... slightly before. I will be changing latches too... I do recommend CConly. They were honest about the dates on the backorders and about everything upfront. I cannot wait to move my chicks in next week when the watersealing is good and dry.
I have watersealed the outside, but want to waterseal the top of the floor under the tray and the edges of the tray... I am still wondering if I should waterseal the perches inside. I am putting plastic buckets in the nesting boxes for easy cleanup and am wishing I had a utility sink outside these days...

We got our coop from Urban Coops in Texas. Quality construction and excellent assembly instructions with all the hardware and fasteners needed in a very organized plastic box. The design of their coops is great I think. Our little girls are only 11 days old so it will be a while before they start enjoying it. I also got 3 rolls of the same 1/2" X 1" they use and plan on burying about a foot of it around the perimeter of the coop to make it really difficult for predators to dig under.

We got our coop from Urban Coops in Texas. Quality construction and excellent assembly instructions with all the hardware and fasteners needed in a very organized plastic box. The design of their coops is great I think. Our little girls are only 11 days old so it will be a while before they start enjoying it. I also got 3 rolls of the same 1/2" X 1" they use and plan on burying about a foot of it around the perimeter of the coop to make it really difficult for predators to dig under.
So good to hear!!! I'm planning on buying from Urban Coops. I've had nothing but great interactions with them online so far & they have amazing reviews from everyone I've talked to!

Did you get any replies on this question, as I have the same question.
Want to get a nice coop, safe for our birds, but so many to choose from.
Would love recommendations from those who have experience.

These coops look good online but they are way overprices and built very poorly. Most of them are only big enough to house maybe one or two birds at most. They are very flimsy. Don't waste your money!

I think the thing people need to realize if you are buying online is that you are paying a premium for boxing and shipping, this can be a huge portion of the cost...

IMO it's best to get some plans online or wherever and contact a few local 'handymen' chances are they can build you one for less or a bigger one for the same price of likely better quality... Or find a local builder that can deliver for much cheaper than shipping...

I did home remodeling and construction for many years so for me designing and building isn't an issue, but even if I didn't have my own skills I'll bet if I called up a free friends (that I know have the skills) over for a pizza/beer build party they would show up to build it for the cost of the beer/pizza... Asked around I'm sure everyone has a friend or two that is handy...

If you can spend a little bit of extra money get the gronomics chicken coop. It is made out of very nice wood and looks very nice.

Back
Top Bottom