Who here is into Photography?

Good job on your pics. I have no formal training so anything I suggest is based on instinct and trial and error. When your taking the pic, be more aware of your backgrounds and what they are doing to your composition, if you can't correct the composition while taking the pic then correct it afterwards w/ cropping.

This first one in this group the background is very distracting, not much could be done w/ cropping, and maybe not much at the time of the photograph in times when you just have to snap or lose the shot (moving uncooperative subject)

Second one better background, but when faces are shot rarely is it effective for the eyes to be shut.

Third one pretty expected almost center crop, I would play w/ different crops, slightly angled or bottom or top of the field, something just to make it a little more unexpected.

Forth, cool candid, action type shot, good perspective, background is a bit distracting, but not as bad as the first one.

Fifth one the white blob in the upper right very distracting totally taking away from the shot. This one would be great for a 1:1 (square) pic. I see two good choices crop the a square w/ the center of the rose the center of the square, you will crop out the white blob, leaves and outer petals, and really focus on the best part of the pic. The other would still be cropping to a square, but keeping that left most green and cropping down from the upper left corner to make the pic a square, losing the white blob, and unattractive rt leaf, you will still have the center of the rose (prettiest part) but instead of a direct center shot it will be off center and you still keep some of the contrasting green in the shot.

Last one, that distracting yellow thing over the birds head, I would either crop it out or erase it w/ post processing tools.

Those are just my thoughts and opinions for what they are worth. (and only give since you asked)
I can see how that background would be pretty distracting with the tree and all the dead leaves, I'll make sure to play closer attention to that next time.

I wish I could have gotten a picture with the birds eyes open. She kind of just sat there not moving the whole time. It was taken at the zoo where they had a bunch of birds so I don't know what was going on with her :/

I will definitely try different crops. Maybe some diagnols in the picture will make it a bit more interesting?

I think the fourth was just one of a ton of pictures that I took one day, it was just the one that stood out.

Ah, the white blob was another flower. Maybe next time I'll just have to take the rose out and take pictures without a lot of other flowers

I did try to crop out them out, but it just seemed like it cropped a bit close afterwards.... Maybe it will still look better if I do just crop it really small.

Thx so much for the input and I will definitely watch for all of that the next time I go out and take pics.

These are all beautiful pics, nice and clear, very nice. You want input. I'll give you the best input I know, and that's doesn't mean that I my are any better, LOL

#1 The hen is perfect, and placement balanced. She has busy color, I would put her on a plainer background to make her stand out.
#2 I love bokeh, I would not use her as a subject , there's nothing special about her.
#3. I don't know, I guess I would have taken different angles and different distances to compare and kept the best one. Maybe you did. I don't know, LOL
#4 I love drips, I guess I would have tried to get more of the branch clear if possible
#5 I like this because she is a solid color and the background is busy. Her expression makes you stop and want to think about what she's thinking.
#6 Rose good, but that's too easy!
#7 Nice pigeon, stands out against background and the branches standing out with her is nice.
#8 The hawk is an amazing catch! I don't think that's very easy or common to get an opportunity to catch that and be clear.
#8 I don't know
#9 Interesting use of part of a face, those eyes really stand out and are beautiful.
#10. I think the deer gets lost because of the drab color and similar colors in the background.
I actually have taken pictures of her just walking around in snow if that any better, I just liked that one because its one of the clearest pictures I've gotten with the kit lens that I have now.

That's a picture when I was just starting to learn about aperture and shutter and was playing with my aperture settings. She was the only bird who would sit still long enough for me to get a decent picture....

Different angles? Maybe I'll try that next time. It never hurts to experiment right
smile.png

Yeah, I'm hoping to try that one again soon. I took that with my kit lens and several close up filters and that was the best I could get. I am hoping for a better lens and some extensions for macro photography for my birthday tonight though

That picture was one of a ton of pictures I took one day. I thought it really stood out because of her expression

Thx, it wasn't an easy picture to get. I had to climb half way up gate and lean my head against a thick branch in order to get behind all the little branches to take the picture.

That was actually a really small part of the actual picture itself. Afterwards I cropped it and messed around with my contrast and made it look a bit better.

It was not an easy picture to get. I was trying some macro face shots. She mostly just gave me looks like this:

It took a while to finally get the look I was going for, but eventually I did get pretty close.

Yeah, I totally could have gotten a better picture of him. We have does walking through all the time but don't see the bucks quite as often. I saw him outside, grabbed my camera, and took a ton of pictures before realizing that there was no memory card in my camera
th.gif
By the time I had gotten my card and everything he was almost gone.

Thx, that really does help. I've been really hoping for some deep feedback from my photography teacher but all I usually get it a "good job."
he.gif
I take my classes online and don't have direct contact with my teacher so I can't just ask him to give me better feedback.

Quote:
It's nice to read all Kassaundra's comments.

I forgot about photoshopping the pics. I just use what Windows gives me for free, and can do a lot with that.
Sometimes the best pictures are those taken by surprise.
It's great with digital cameras you can take an endless amount of pictures and it's free!

I've given up practicing with settings right now. Auto seems to know them much better than me. I just focus on getting the right setup in my picture and stuff like that.

It's nice to read all Kassaundra's comments.

I forgot about photoshopping the pics. I just use what Windows gives me for free, and can do a lot with that.
Sometimes the best pictures are those taken by surprise.
It's great with digital cameras you can take an endless amount of pictures and it's free!

I've given up practicing with settings right now. Auto seems to know them much better than me. I just focus on getting the right setup in my picture and stuff like that.
Most times I let the auto brain decide, but I have been doing a little experimenting w/ shutter speed and iso, playing w/ light. Not sure if I shared them here or not, let me check.

No doesn't look like I did.

These aren't great but they were hard to get.

This is a 10 sec shutter speed iso 100 a flash light and a shower curtain. The texture you see in the word is the texture of the shower curtain shining through. I tweeked it a tiny bid in photoshop, just nudging the brightness/contrast

This is same settings but the fabric had no texture

This is a 20 sec shutter speed, iso 100, my husband is turning a flashlight on /and off as I sign the next letter. This spells dream

Same here but faith. These were very hard to get

A soap bubble I thought was cool looking

Both of these were self portraits I was experimenting w/ low key lighting w/o any studio equipment. These were in a dark bathroom w/ a door open to one side to a lighted room. I forget the shutter speed, but am thinking it was somewhere around 1/30 sec. These were heavily photoshopped, cropping, color correction, lightening of some of the shadows, then changing over to a more sepia look

Last edited:
:goodpost:

That is so cool! It almost makes want to try something like that, only I have a feeling I would miserably..... I get way too discouraged trying to take pictures in the dark as nothing seems to work,:idunno

goodpost.gif

That is so cool! It almost makes want to try something like that, only I have a feeling I would miserably..... I get way too discouraged trying to take pictures in the dark as nothing seems to work,
idunno.gif

A tripod, a way to control shutter speed, a dark area or one you can make dark and way to control the light source / direction, and patience. It is much more helpful if you have a helper, either a model to pose or person to push the button after you have set all the controls. Post editing is you friend here too, controlling some of the shadowing and brightening some areas. Experimenting wouldn't cost a thing, the delete button is free.

From yesterday

The moon was out at sunset and didn't look any different to my eye then usual, but when I went to crop to get a better moon pic, I noticed the colors in the sunset were in the moon too.

Back
Top Bottom