Getting deeper into photography

Nice pics.... looks like you are usually shooting in manual?

I mainly do wildlife photography and I shoot in shutter priority 90% of the time.

Black and white animals are some of the hardest to expose properly. My camera almost always overexposes the whites when I'm in good light so I'm typically running -2/3rds stop on my exposure compensation.

If you are shooting in manual then you'll just have to look at your histogram or blinkies and adjust your settings accordingly like you mentioned (I think you already know this).

When I first started taking pics I never knew how bad my pics really were because everybody said how much they liked them, lol. Constructive critisim definitely helps you get better.

I started looking at real good pics and realized mine were not great at all. So I watched almost every photography video on YouTube, lol, and got better.

Biggest things I learned was getting a low perspective, getting very close to the subject while setting up so the background is nice looking and far enough away to not distract from the subject, and paying the most attention to the light i'm working with.

Now even on my very best pics I look at them and I can still see ways that could have them better.

Make sure you post any wildlife pics on the wildlife thread, we'd love to see them.

That 200-500 will be a great wildlife lens. I know it's big and heavy. I use a 100-400 and its kind of bulky but its all I shoot with now, so hopefully you'll get used to carrying the bigger lens around.

Biggest things I learned was getting a low perspective, getting very close to the subject while setting up so the background is nice looking and far enough away to not distract from the subject, and paying the most attention to the light i'm working with.

YES!!!

And yup, studying photos that you think are good/great and analyzing WHY is one way to really improve your work. Sometimes the why is obvious, sometimes not.

Here's something I learned in college. The prof said that after one or two classes, if not before, you will realize whether you are a black and white photographer (yup, this was 40 years ago) or a color photographer. Most of us, including me, were more interested in color.

He showed us a photo of a Native American girl dressed and made up in traditional clothing and jewelry in B&W, and said, "Write down five adjectives to describe this." Words like "texture" (of her skin, especially), "shape," "line," and "contrast" came up.

He showed us the same picture in color and gave the same instruction. Then he asked, "Did anyone not write down the word 'color' as the first on your list?" No one raised a hand.

So then he made all the people who thought they were more interested in color shoot just B&W for our next assignment. That assignment changed how I thought about color and how it works in a photograph.

We had to buy film and print all our work in a darkroom, so we didn't take 200 pictures in those days. :)

Nice pics.... looks like you are usually shooting in manual?

I mainly do wildlife photography and I shoot in shutter priority 90% of the time.

Black and white animals are some of the hardest to expose properly. My camera almost always overexposes the whites when I'm in good light so I'm typically running -2/3rds stop on my exposure compensation.

If you are shooting in manual then you'll just have to look at your histogram or blinkies and adjust your settings accordingly like you mentioned (I think you already know this).

When I first started taking pics I never knew how bad my pics really were because everybody said how much they liked them, lol. Constructive critisim definitely helps you get better.

I started looking at real good pics and realized mine were not great at all. So I watched almost every photography video on YouTube, lol, and got better.

Now even on my very best pics I look at them and I can still see ways that could have them better.

Make sure you post any wildlife pics on the wildlife thread, we'd love to see them.

That 200-500 will be a great wildlife lens. I know it's big and heavy. I use a 100-400 and its kind of bulky but its all I shoot with now, so hopefully you'll get used to carrying the bigger lens around.
Thanks!
Yes, I shoot exclusively in manual. I felt like that would be the best way to learn what works and what doesn’t.
And I completely agree about needing constructive criticism. It helps so much! I’ve got a thick skin and want to learn all I can:)
I really appreciate all the tips you’ve given on the site regarding photography. It has definitely helped me!
That lens is soooo heavy! I haven’t taken it out since. It will take lots of practice(I might need to take up weight lifting😆) to find ways to work around its weight
YES!!!

And yup, studying photos that you think are good/great and analyzing WHY is one way to really improve your work. Sometimes the why is obvious, sometimes not.

Here's something I learned in college. The prof said that after one or two classes, if not before, you will realize whether you are a black and white photographer (yup, this was 40 years ago) or a color photographer. Most of us, including me, were more interested in color.

He showed us a photo of a Native American girl dressed and made up in traditional clothing and jewelry in B&W, and said, "Write down five adjectives to describe this." Words like "texture" (of her skin, especially), "shape," "line," and "contrast" came up.

He showed us the same picture in color and gave the same instruction. Then he asked, "Did anyone not write down the word 'color' as the first on your list?" No one raised a hand.

So then he made all the people who thought they were more interested in color shoot just B&W for our next assignment. That assignment changed how I thought about color and how it works in a photograph.

We had to buy film and print all our work in a darkroom, so we didn't take 200 pictures in those days. :)

That sounds very interesting!
I can imagine how shooting b&w would make a person look at what they are shooting differently. So much to consider to get a good picture.
I do love how dramatic they can be.

So much to consider to get a good picture.

Yes, there is! You can "buy" some of what makes a good photographer, ie, good equipment, good software. You can pay for classes. But so much of what takes you to the next level is getting out there and doing it. And learning from what you've done, and listening to what other people (photographers or not) have to say about your work.

Keep going! Good job! :thumbsup

Yes, there is! You can "buy" some of what makes a good photographer, ie, good equipment, good software. You can pay for classes. But so much of what takes you to the next level is getting out there and doing it. And learning from what you've done, and listening to what other people (photographers or not) have to say about your work.

Keep going! Good job! :thumbsup
That is so very true!

Here's some of my pics!
20210510_131204.jpg
20210509_185431.jpg
20210304_091155.jpg
20180604_193012.jpg
20170725_162258.jpg
20170712_164101.jpg
IMG_20161207_180456176.jpg
20170421_203534.jpg
IMG_20150812_150255505.jpg