Who here is into Photography?

I completed a commercial photography program at the Center for the Media Arts in NYC (formerly the Germaine School of Photography, not sure what or if it is any longer). It was a one year very intensive program working in small, medium and large formats, color and B&W. This was in the late 80's so it was all film, digital was never once mentioned. In 1994 I completed my B.A. in photography at University of Maryland Baltimore County. Digital imaging was just coming into play but was prohibitively expensive; my printing paper and other supplies were pricey enough. I think Photoshop cost around $600 and few of us had our own personal computers. I preferred alternative methods of printmaking, using a variety of processes that were used around the turn of the 20th century (like gum bichromate printing). I also liked staight up B&W documentary photography/street portraits. I used a beat up Nikkormat (steel body Nikon from the 60's) with a variety of schlock lenses and a hand held light meter. Sharp focus was never a priority it my work. I always developed and printed all my own work-getting my hands dirty was the fun of it for me.

Enter the new millenium, where it's hard to find old school supplies and though I still have all my equipment, time and space are in short supply. I'd love to get back into any of my art. Two years ago, I got a 4 x 5 view camera and a big ol' color enlarger that could accomodate the large film, though I had no interest in the hassle of color. I wasn't interested in the "phography" of digital, because toying at a computer, while it could give all manner of effects that would cost me tons with film (as well as the time/space issue), it just wasn't my idea of fun. Again, the dirty hands and physicality of it were what I enjoyed.

But my boyfriend never listeded to me anyway and gave me a Canon EOS 10D for my birthday a few weeks later. Alas, the instructions manual is in Spanish and I never got around to getting one in English. So all those things I'm used to doing manually are done for me. I have to say, I've taken tons and tons of photos, snapshots really, many of them not half bad. I love that I can shoot gazillions of frames without all the space and money consumption. But for me, it's a very very different thing from what I consider my photography, my art. These are my pictures, and indeed while I love my portraits of my birds, printmaking was my art.

Much of my old work is on special papers and some of my old portfolio is in slides. None of it has been saved digitally yet so I can't even post it here. My digital stuff is nothing special to anyone but me. No matter the quality, if it's got a picture of my bird in it, I love it.

You can download your Canon 10d manual here: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppo...gital_slr_cameras/eos_10d#BrochuresAndManuals

I have to admit, the college dark room was not my favorite place. You never knew who messed up with the chems or fiddled with the enlargers etc. I think I only saved 5 or 6 prints from then. I maxed out on all the photo classes at SBCC, but got my 2 year degree in Business Admin. Brooks was offered, but at the time, early 80's being female meant you were assumed to want to shoot kids and families and I had just done time with a class full of nothing but guys who wanted to remind me my place in the photo world... And my (now ex) husband HATED every second I spent with my camera. So I put it away for years.

But, I love digital! I can shoot all I want, experiment and not have to keep a shooting diary! I hope to renovate an old old old garage in to my "studio" some time this year. My guy has a really nice 4x5 I like playing with, thankfully he loves all the processing and owns a crazy number/sizes of enlargers etc (even an 8x10 enlarger)

But for now, my film shoots usually include my Holga. (I sold my nice film Canons and Pentax67 a few years ago-I still have a vintage a-1 and 20mm lens)

They only taught us how to shoot a little film in school.. We had an old school 4x5 that we were asked to drag all over Halifax which definitely entertained locals. Then we learned how to use a digital 4x5 which I thought was awesome. I have an old Olympus 35 mm but I haven't used it. My Grampy gave it to me. Film is lovely but most of the people I know who are pros or artists have moved entirely to digital to survive.

I have to admit, the college dark room was not my favorite place. You never knew who messed up with the chems or fiddled with the enlargers etc.

Are you my twin? I took college photography as an adult. The other adults and I got along great, but oh, if I washed out a sink FULL of developing equipment left by young people once I did it a gazillion times. Hey, the lab manager and I are still very close friends, so I did get positives out of the experience.

I still love film but don't have access to a darkroom unless I'm enrolled in a class. I admit it, I love digital and all of the incredible things one can do with it.​

Thanks for the link FourPawz. And I LOVE your photo. That picture sucks me in so much I positively want to go see what's on the other side of that door!

I was lucky in that my forays into darkroom sharing were with people who were more serious about it as a career or as a major (more advanced classes) so there was more respect for the equipment and each other. People were not always so generous with time though and I remember it practically coming to daggers near the end of the semester when studios were at a premium and we ALL needed the big printing press for photolithographs. And that ink was a truly heinous mess to clean up if anyone was slacking.

These days darkroom equipment is dirt cheap and even free sometimes. Keep an eye on your local Craigslist or Freecyle or ebay. Getting paper and film is harder to do locally but if you're on here, you have internet access and can buy the stuff online. Twenty years ago, I didn't view a move to the boonies as an option because I would have had a hard time getting photo/art supplies, even though there have always been decent mail order places like B&H in NYC. Now I have the best of both worlds: I live on the side of a mountain, get want I want on-line, and only have an hour drive to Washington DC to see things like the exhibit of Pre-Raphaelite photography this month at the Smithsonian.

It's soooo easy to set up your own stuff. When I was in school living in a tiny NYC apartment, I put the enlarger and trays on the kitchen counter with the wash in the sink. When the sun came up, the operation moved to the bathroom, with the enlarger on the toilet and trays in the tub. Once you get into the routine of it, it's nothing to mix the chemicals and slap the stuff together. Just motivating to get it started is the hard part.

If anyone around Maryland (also close to parts of PA, WV, VA) is interested, I have a big color enlarger that will do up to 4x5 (and of course B&W) with all the stuff that goes with it I'll sell pretty cheap. I got it as a lot when I got the view camera, but is really is too big for my little house with the 6 foot ceilings upstairs. I can use my little enlarger or contact print.

56502_dscf5219.jpg

56502_photography_of_animals_8-30-10_061.jpg

56502_crosses_2.jpg

56502_kays_class_and_downtown_020.jpg

56502_kays_class_and_downtown_040.jpg

56502_kays_class_and_downtown_043.jpg

56502_fair_pictures_thursday_063.jpg

56502_ran_concert_182.jpg

okay thats it for now. Maybe I will post more later.

Back
Top Bottom