Who here is into Photography?

Quote:
In all seriousness, when I asked a professional about the difference between Nikon and Canon, he said it was all about what you're photographing. Canon's tend to pick up red's a little better and Nikons tend to pick up blue's a little better, which means, as he explained it, that Canon's are going to be your portrait photography and Nikon's your outdoors or wildlife. Of course, you can always work around this and I really haven't noticed it all. A little experience working with your camera, a class or two, and/or a book on your camera will give you all you need to get the shots you want. RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH before you buy. I chose my camera (A Nikon D5000) because it had video recoding capabilities which was somewhat important to me, more focus points, and not as much software as the higher grade versions, which might have weighed me down a bit. Each camera is different and there's a perfect one out there for what you want.
Just don't forget no matter what you buy, you're going to figure it out and learn to manipulate it to get great shots. Using friends' cameras to get a feel for weight can be helpful, too. Go to a local photo club meeting to really find out just what you're looking for if you don't know already.

I hope you find just what you want!

And of course, Nikons are #1!

Quote:
In all seriousness, when I asked a professional about the difference between Nikon and Canon, he said it was all about what you're photographing. Canon's tend to pick up red's a little better and Nikons tend to pick up blue's a little better, which means, as he explained it, that Canon's are going to be your portrait photography and Nikon's your outdoors or wildlife. Of course, you can always work around this and I really haven't noticed it all. A little experience working with your camera, a class or two, and/or a book on your camera will give you all you need to get the shots you want. RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH before you buy. I chose my camera (A Nikon D5000) because it had video recoding capabilities which was somewhat important to me, more focus points, and not as much software as the higher grade versions, which might have weighed me down a bit. Each camera is different and there's a perfect one out there for what you want.
Just don't forget no matter what you buy, you're going to figure it out and learn to manipulate it to get great shots. Using friends' cameras to get a feel for weight can be helpful, too. Go to a local photo club meeting to really find out just what you're looking for if you don't know already.

I hope you find just what you want!

And of course, Nikons are #1!

If you ask any pro, you will get a different answer and based on what they shoot, that is what they will pump. The old color thing was back in the early digital days and cmos vs ccd. Note Nikon is now using cmos.

What is important between the two top brands, if you have any lenses you just feel you HAVE to use that you already own. Otherwise, go pick them up, close your eyes and feel the two cameras. See what feels good in your hands. Don't bother with the sales guy pitch, he is going to sell that he either knows or is being told to push that month. Skip the non OEM lenses if you can. There are some times I would recommend one: like a consumer lens at the similar price point as f2.8 sigma. And sorry Sony-Pentax folks, I would skip those just because due to market share and the economy, go with one of the big two.

Thanks dkvart!

It's not the camera that makes the great picture, it's the person behind it!
I know people who can make beautiful pictures with the worst camera, it comes with experiences and knowledge how to make the " perfect" picture.

Where I live there isn't any stores to buy from? I have been looking at Walmart online for cameras. Is there a better place on the internet to buy them and get good deals? My mother just got a Canon Rebel and I used it Saturday. I really liked the way it took the pictures. Now, I want my own.
big_smile.png

Quote:
I got my last lens from Ebay. It was a tamron pzd brand new in the box w/ warrenty for only 450 which was a steal!!!!! I got it from a camera shop recieved it in 5 days from payment date, couldn't be happier w/ it. The history of the site selling the camera had over 10,000 ebay sales and a 100% satisfaction rate. Just use common sense about choosing who's items you bid on, know the worth of what you want, don't get caught in a bidding war that gets ridiculous, and be patient.

Pretty much industry standard for cameras:

bhphotovideo.com

There is also adorama.com

For used, check out keh.com

Of course there is always ebay and craigslist. I get a lot of good bulky stuff from craigslist, light diffusers, weight bags etc. It does help me out that I live in a big photo school town, so I get extra good craigslist pickings. I have sold some good stuff on ebay and bought some good too. But the last thing I bought I discovered how expertly the seller had covered a crack to the filter ring. Still works, but I would have rather I bought it from keh.com for a few bucks more and been able to return the lens. It is only non oem lens I have and will have to ship to NJ to have Sigma estimate the repair bill even. (150mm 2.8 macro)

I should clarify:

in the early digital days Nikon was ccd for the image sensor and Canon was cmos. They are both cmos now

Back
Top Bottom