Whole flock dead!

Any ideas what did this? They will be back.........just sit out there one night and wait for them.
somad.gif

I am a dog trainer... I study dog psychology.

I almost guarantee this was a pack of feral dogs.
If dogs are allowed to roam and have little training- they easily teach themselves to kill things.

A pack of dogs could most definitely bring down a small cow. A pack of feral dogs could even kill a large breed of horse.

This sounds horrible... but it is true. In rural suburban and rural areas, criminals often leave aggressive, tenacious dogs outside to protect their illegal paraphernalia.

These dogs are not tied up, otherwise their "protective" qualities would be of little use.
For all we know, this killing problem might be a whole lot bigger than a few dogs setting out to "have fun".

It is a sad thing... but notify your community and call the authorities. And if I were you, I'd be spending a good several nights out at my coop. Get something from a hunting supply store to cover up your scent. Watch, and wait. If it is indeed a pack of dogs, you can identify the dogs and call the authorities and request they allow the dogs to be shot on site. Or, find the owners and sue them up the butt for the livestock expenses they owe to the town.

I am so sorry to hear about your loss.
sad.png
It could be any of the wild animals--even a badger/weasel that would do that (coyotes, foxes....) dig a hole and get in. We once had a raccoon crawl up the top of the roof, find the open area, killed our sweet little Micro, ran back up and out before morning came. We had our flock destroyed one afternoon by something one day as well that just left a few feathers behind. I would also look for tracks. Those are a give-away. A game cam would tell a lot.

I sent you eggs at the beginning of last week but never heard from you if you received them or if you are incubating them.

Please let me know.

As of night before last I have trapped and dispatched two racoons, one possum and two FERAL cats. (I know they are feral because I have been seeing them around here for a year and they do not belong to any of my neighbors am in the country and people dump them all the time) I have lost three chickens to them.

My coop is as close to Ft. Knox as I could get it now.....lesson learned.

I have an indoor cat and will start putting her litter around the runs now. Need a place to put it anyway!

I now have TWO traps and they are set every night when I go out to put the chickens to bed. And I can't sleep if they are not locked in.

I have buried wire out two feet and went ahead and ran it up that far on the run. I have covered the top with a second layer and I am going through it everyday looking for more places that might not be secure.

We had chickens for a year before the first attack.

I have warned neighbors that the traps are set. If I get their cat or dogs I will keep them for the day and then call and tell them to come get them.....this once. I want the animal to have not liked the visit to my chicken yard.

I am so sorry to the OP that they had to have this loss.....it just make you feel terrible.

Hey, quick update, will be posting a 'I'm back' thread in a few minutes to let everyone know whats going on.
I got the eggs, chickens no longer free range and I've lost 2 hens since then.
It's under the "Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates" category.
Please post any Q's etc over there. Thanks!

On that "security system", I would not bother with monitors and video cameras. Too much expence and bother plus having to either watch all the time or zoom thru tapes. Go to Cabela's online or Midway and get a "Trail Cam" it works by motion detection, is battery operated and digital. Takes color pictures in day and black and white at night. Make sure to get one with an infrared flash so the animal or human is not alerted to night photos. Then you can review the picures it takes to find the culprit and its habits and pattern, times and dates. Good cameras are not that expensive and a good memory will store thousands of photos.

something no one else mentioned is the river that runs south of town near you is probbally home to an Otter or two they are able to squeeze through tiny holes if I use traps that are 7-8" big they swim through without touching the trap I have to use a trap that is 4-6" to catch them that and you have a fair population of coyotes and bobcats up your way

Last edited:
Soooo sorry for your loss! I had a coyote yesterday walk right into my goats paddock! I freaked out screamed and scared him away. I know he'll bring his buddies back next time. Have guard dogs in there today. My chickens free range in the paddock so the dogs are doing double duty! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom