Who's built a homemade electric scalder?

Here's a couple pics.

You can see the RANCO ETC-111000 (hvac parts warehouse) on the back. It regulates the temps within 1 degree. The extra gray plastic gizmos are my first attempt at making a dunking mechanism. Still needs more work. Also, note the white plastic drain pipe exiting the side of the base.

This pictures shows a top view looking into the scaler. You can see the electric heating element bolted to the side of the scalder along with (2) bolts holding the two sections of the barrel together. I also have the temperature probe "hanging" over the top edge of the barrel. This will be permanently mounted to the side of the barrel with a small piece of mastic tape (RV roofing tape). You can also see the sink drain installed in the bottom. The white ring (and copper connector) at the top of the barrel is my first attempt to solidify the top cut edge of the barrel. It is a piece of 1/2" PVC pipe bent into a circle and then slit on the table saw (be VERY careful doing this) and fitted over the top edge. It works fine, but needs some cosmetic refinements!

And, here is the bottom of the scalder. Since I live in a very remote part of the country, I had few options for connecting a drain. Of course one does not need the "trap" but it really doesn't hurt anything either (as long as I drain it before winter). I will probably change that some day...if I feel like it.

This thing is pretty simple. However, there isn't much rocket science involved in heating water. The backbone to this system is the Ranco digital temperature controller and the 120 volt, 1500 watt heating element (and the flange kit). These are very common items. Nearly any hardware store will have the flange mount (about $10) and EVERY RV dealer will have the heating element. Of course all the stuff is available on line.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER on electric scalder:

Since water and electricity are a hazardous combination--especially when outside--please use a GFCI for your safety. They are cheap and available almost everywhere.

You can see the RANCO ETC-111000 (hvac parts warehouse) on the back. It regulates the temps within 1 degree.

I think you have just solved my problem. I already have a bucket heater that will heat a decent quantity of water -- but it has no thermostat and has to be babysat just like the propane burner method.

ETC Supply not only has the part you mentioned, but for $15 extra they will pre-wire it with a plug and outlet! All I have to do is specify the cord lengths, and plug in my bucket heater.

http://www.etcsupply.com/ranco-etc111000000-digital-temperature-controller-prewired-p-87.html

Fabulous. Thanks so much for the pictures and part numbers!

-Wendy

We built an electric scalded according to some plans that we found on here (my wife mainly built it as her project). We have the Ranco thermostat and heating element hooked up into the utility tub. Our problem is that the no matter what we set our temperature to (145) it keeps getting warmer and doesn't "stay" anywhere near where we set it. Does this sound like an issue with the heating element being too warm or not connecting correctly to the thermostat? We need to get this solved asap. Thanks for any help you can offer.

check the connection diagram/directions very carefully included with the Ranco thermostat. They can easily be misunderstood....I am an electrician by trade and hooked mine up wrong...okay guys go ahead and throw some eggs at me...er, I mean tomatoes.

You're correct, 240v would be much more efficient, however for myself it's an issue of availability. I simply don't have 240 available where I butcher.

240VAC would be better only because it would allow a higher wattage element with a similar size wire. Like you say, the logistics of running 240 kept me from doing this. 120VAC is convenient and the amperage/wattage is doable from an ordinary 20 amp circuit. Good luck with yours!

Back
Top Bottom