Who's Setting Eggs This Week[end]? [August 8-14]

Crossing my fingers...the humidity has stayed at 60-65 most of today. It is 65 now. I'll set an alarm and get up early to check it. It did great Sunday and most of Monday, so maybe everything will be OK...

"drumming my fingers on the desk"...

and the lock down wait begins.

Candled and couldn't see anything except dark eggs. A few had odd shaped air sacs. Not sure what that means.

Last edited:
"drumming my fingers on the desk"...

and the lock down wait begins.

Candled and couldn't see anything except dark eggs. A few had odd shaped air sacs. Not sure what that means.
Just went into lock down also. Candled again and ended up throwing out another one. It quit around day 15. This leaves me with 6/15 shipped eggs. Temp is good. Humidity is running at a steady 65%. I tried a dry hatch this time around hoping to get a better hatch but with shipped eggs it is hard.

Day 21, hatch day for me. Hatched 2 early silkies last night and awoke to two more this morning. Another hatched this afternoon. One zipped around the whole egg and died before I got home from work today (was the first to pip, took 24 hours and gave up) :( Poor little thing. There are three left in the incubator, not a pip or sound from them. Not feeling hopeful as it has been several hours since the last chick hatched. This is my first hatch with a homemade incubator and shipped silkie eggs. So far 5 out of 13 made it. I definitely hoped for better. A big thank you to my DH for the constant attention to these little babies every moment I had to be away. He knew how much they meant to me. ♥

I love brand new Silkies. Adorable.

Hatch day today. Bator is quiet, too quiet. I'm not feeling hopeful. Not sure what went wrong, other than being all shipped eggs and having humidity issues yesterday. There was one small temperature drop, but it was short. Humidity was very constant 35-40%. Sigh.

I love brand new Silkies. Adorable.
Hatch day today. Bator is quiet, too quiet. I'm not feeling hopeful. Not sure what went wrong, other than being all shipped eggs and having humidity issues yesterday. There was one small temperature drop, but it was short. Humidity was very constant 35-40%. Sigh.
I would be more concerned with a temperature spike rather than a drop. I just read somewhere that a temperature drop will cause the chicks metabolism to slow down and could be the reason why no activity yet. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
fl.gif

It's an LG. I got great advice from some pretty serious hatchers who use it, and I got 100% with local eggs in my first hatch, doing nothing fancy. But we moved to a new house in the last month, and ambient RH seems to be different here. The temperate held great other than one spoke, but the RH is driving me bonkers.
I added a great big wet sponge not long ago. Hope that helps.
I'm opening this bator way too much trying to fix this. Ugh.
ETA: hatch day is tomorrow.
I only keep a few wet sponges on top rack the first 18 days....then add a hot wet sponge on the bottom rack during lock down plus a hose to pour hot water on it without opening the bator so much!!
Good Luck!!...hope they start pippin thru!!!!!

Quote:
well, i have a staggered hatch.... thanks to the timing on ebay and different shipping days....LOL.
i originally started with:

6 silver sussex eggs
6 assorted turkey eggs
10 white leghorn cross

i put them in my shed to incubate and then later decided to break out another incubator and put it in my bedroom. this is when i added 20 speckled sussex eggs.

out of the 6 silver sussex eggs only 1 hatched :( the rest died late in the incubation period
none of the turkey eggs showed any veins like they hadn't even started (could be the excessive heat in the shed or the shipping) :(
none of the white leghorn crosses hatched (some died early in the developement and others later on) :(

i'm hoping that the speckled sussex eggs will do better as they are in a more controlled temperature room. fingers crossed for them .... please

don
Sorry to hear bout ur losses!!.....& congrats on the one that did hatch!!

I had a stagger hatch last time too....did GREAT!! 8 out 11 eggs!!
But they all was from my girls & landlords....No shippin eggs!!

Shippin eggs this time....but not too good!!....down to 2 outta 13!!

Good Luck!!...hope they start pippin thru!!!!!
A photo of the new babies.
The last few chick's feathers haven't puffed out yet. Is this normal? Should I try to clean them up?
They r Gorgeous!!!!!....CONGRATS!!!

If they dont fluff out after 10-12 hours....just wring a wet rag over them & wipe off....No Soap!!
Just plain warm water!!

I had to do that to a few of mines, last hatch!
The other chicks was peckin at it....it was the leftover fluid &/r yoke which they like anyways!!...lol

Back
Top Bottom