Why are my eggs bloody inside?!?

Sorry to resurrect this necro-thread but one of my girls laid an egg today with blood in it, and it was much more than the example above.

Is this ok?

Had to research WHY this egg was so bloody and came across your site.
Reviewed the posts and reasons why....

Got up this Christmas Mourning to make my wife's - Mother breakfast.
Grabbed two eggs out of the freshly purchased egg carton.
The 1st one_OK, then the second one_ (Ouch)

Stood there for a while, never have seeing this before, I said to myself
oh-well, its just blood and continued.
Then I said, nah, better start over.
Discarded the two eggs and cracked two more which were OK.
Then I said to myself, crap, I should wash the pan and start over, which I did.

Grandma ate her breakfast, said it was delicious and did not fall over dead.
I didn't show her the bloody egg until later.
She grew up on a farm and said that she had never seen an egg that bloody.

Here are two pic's I took at the time.

This is exactly what I just experienced. How long did yours take to get back to norm? Have you any knowledge of why or how this happened?

Sorry to resurrect this necro-thread but one of my girls laid an egg today with blood in it, and it was much more than the example above. Is this ok?
I found the same thing this morning when i fixed breakfast. It was a little bit more blood than your pic. It was the first egg I cracked, and from my SBEL pullet. I had two more of her eggs so I cracked them next and they were all bloody as well. She laid a couple eggs last week that were fine, but didn't lay for about the six weeks prior to that. I did not get an egg from her today. At least I can easily single her eggs out if it continues to be a problem. I've never had that happen before, but I've only had chickens for the last couple years. ETA: could it possibly be caused by the sudden sub-artic temps? You know, 50*F one day, then 2*F (wind chill -8*F) just a few days later? I'm surprised I even got any eggs. They all have been on strike for the last month or so....

Last edited:
I had an egg like these this morning! Wondering if the temp is causing this? First it's 45 degrees then it's 10! I won't eat them but my hubby doesn't care! Still yummy and safe to eat :)

. Got this one this morning. Had cereal instead.

I always got a chuckle out of people freaking out over this like its gross. I always mention do you know why your steak is red, because its full of blood so why would one little blood spot in an egg bother you lol.

I always got a chuckle out of people freaking out over this like its gross.  I always mention do you know why your steak is red, because its full of blood so why would one little blood spot in an egg bother you lol.  

I'm not so much grossed out by it, just curious as to WHY it's happening. I gave a friend some eggs and she said one basically had blood instead of white. That doesn't seem normal. Should I be investigating the hen who laid it??

I'm not so much grossed out by it, just curious as to WHY it's happening. I gave a friend some eggs and she said one basically had blood instead of white. That doesn't seem normal. Should I be investigating the hen who laid it??
It's not normal but it is natural. I use to set for hours and hours in a darkened room candling eggs on an mechanical egg candelier [slash] grader. I never learned why some eggs had blood spots.

The best explanation that I ever heard was because the hens were frightened by something and that they injured themselves by flying into the pen or gages.

Back
Top Bottom