Check out this crazy egg

jsvand5

Songster
14 Years
Jul 7, 2009
Ocala, FL
Just pulled this thing out of the coop. I’ve never had one like this. Cracked it open and there was a normal yolk and then an entire other fully formed egg inside.
(Second pic is it with a normal egg for size comparison. Last pic is the egg that was inside the giant one)

Attachments

• IMG_4975.jpeg
    IMG_4975.jpeg
    246.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_4977.jpeg
    IMG_4977.jpeg
    639.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4979.jpeg
    IMG_4979.jpeg
    692.5 KB · Views: 26
If you can identify who laid that, it's helpful to monitor her condition for a month. She be on the onset of ovary misfunction.
I only have 2 white egg layers both legbars so it should be pretty easy to figure out. One of them has always seemed to lay kind of thin shelled eggs so I assume it’s likely that one.

How's your hen since the egg?

Found your post while searching about a strange egg my buff laced polish just laid. I noticed she wasn't quite herself this afternoon. Brought her in. She ate oats, some food, drank, and ate some oyster shell so I put her back outside to go to bed since it was getting dark soon.

Just went to check on her and found she laid this:

IMG_20240301_212001841.jpg

There's a full solid egg inside this wrapper. It also looks like the soft outer busted while she laid it. There was a trail of egg stuff leading from it. Got her inside to monitor her and tend to her. She's 9mo, been laying daily since she first started laying. I'm hoping it's just a passing glitch in her system and not a sign of something worse.

Back
Top Bottom