Why did my chicken lay a soft, rubbery egg? Is she sick?

I'm getting a few rubber eggs latey too. Tried oyster shells and that has not helped. I'm not sure of their ages. Can older or younger hens have problems periodically with rubber eggs.

My hens have started to lay just a few weeks ago and found a softy in an unusual place, near where I quarentined the roo. Normaly they are laying in a ground nest they created in the coop area.. The roo has a tick or something so I dusted him with some DE and put him in a large crate outside with his hens. I found the egg in the evening on the top of the crate, while the hens had gone off nearby to roost.

I am thinking in this case it was possibly stress having changed the roosting routine to treat the roo. I added some eggshell to the feeder tonight as well. I will continue to do this and see if that helps.

I am really quite sure the roo has a tick which he will NOT let me pull off, and screams literaly when I try to.. so I dusted him good with DE as I said. The area is black around the tick and the roos skin seems to be black in the area also. He is a very fluffy leghorn firzzle so the black really stood out. Any suggestions for this situation that I could improve on his treatment for this tick?

I would not feed my chickens their own egg shells. They can begin to eat their eggs before you get a chance to gather them. I had someone chicken sit for me once and they thought it would be a good idea to feed the shells to my hens. Ever after they would peck them open and eat them. I had to get rid of the offending hens. Stick with the oyster shells or course sand.

One of my 8 month old RI Red hens has been doing this. She and her two siblings (as in, same age & same source) have been on "Layena Plus Omega 3" from the start, so I doubt that there's a lack of calcium.

Four days ago she laid a "rubber egg," as in there was no shell but a thick membrane; the next day she was lethargic (and no egg); the next day she was "bright-eyed and bushy-tailed" (or so to speak ;-) ) and laid another "rubber egg", and the same again today. Curiously, the last two "rubber eggs" were under their nighttime perch & not in the nesting box.

I was thinking of egg peritonitis when she was acting sick, but I wouldn't expect her to appear so healthy again.

FWIW, I now suspect that she's been the one occasionally laying light-pigmented shells, but their quality was normal otherwise. I also occasionally have gotten double-yolk eggs... again, I wonder if they have been from this hen & her hormones are just a bit off (?)

What think, experts? will she ever lay normal eggs again? what can I do to help her out, if anything?

We' been experiencing this as well. My 18 month-old Golden Comet has been doing the same thing. Some days she will lay two strange eggs close together. One soft-shelled (and not compltely formed) followed by just an egg-sac looking type of egg filled with some liquid. She has gone to roost on several occasions early as if she was ill - only to be followed by acting her chipper self the next morning. I, too, wondered if she has developed peritonitis or prolapse (or something related). -hope someone with good knowledge replies as I am curious, too.

I bought some calcium chips for them yesterday, so I'm hoping (against hope?) to see a difference. one thing that gives me hope that this might work is that one of the other hen's eggs was a bit thin-shelled. It sure doesn't seem likely that they're lacking calcium, though, since they've always been on a big name brand of balanced feed.

Update: about 3-4 days since offering The Goddesses additional calcium, and today I had an egg with a SHELL, albeit a very light, very thin-shelled one. I'll keep y'all posted, but right now I'm questioning the quality of the "quality" feed I've been buying for my layers...

Last edited:
My silky laid a soft rubbery egg,She's been laying for a year with no problems until today and I had just added wormer to the water 8 hours earlier I was wondering if the worming meds had something to do with it?

I found this today from my best layer " Lucy" gives a egg a day. I feed them I oyster shells, I crush there eggs, fruits veggies a few times a week. Lis sunflower, safflower, flax ect....
is she ok? I'm worried!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom