Why do people leave their dogs loose???

I'm not trying to be negative but I don't have much hopes for the dogs learning their lesson. In my experience, the kind of people that let their dogs run wild, won't take you seriously if you complain to them. And since the dogs had fun killing the chicken, they'll want to do it again, and they'll learn soon enough that you're just trying to scare them off and not actually shooting at them. You can't keep an eye on your chicken pen 24/7 and you never know when those dogs will show back up. Believe me, I totally understand not wanting to kill a dog. I've always had a dog, always a rescue dog at that, I volunteer at rescues and have fostered dogs to re-home. But you're dealing with undisciplined dogs allowed to run wild, and chickens which frankly don't stand a chance against them. Fortunately, I have not had to shoot a dog yet (just about every other predator though). I talked to the game warden about it because I had some of the same concerns as you- what if I injured the dog and the owner sued me for vet bills? what if I killed the dog and the owner sued me for killing their dog? The game warden looked right at me and said, "If you shoot a dog in your yard, just get rid of it. Don't contact the owners, don't contact me. Get rid of the body. If the owner is irresponsible enough to break laws and let their dogs run free, then they can deal with wondering where their dog went." I know it sounds really harsh but honestly, if I ever need to shoot a dog, I'll definitely take his advice.

The new is run is almost complete I'll post pics when it is make sure I'm not missing anything. I wish I was a farmer I'm often confused for one because I keep chickens and bees plus I plant a garden. But unfortunately I don't have it in me to kill anything besides bugs (sorry bugs). That's kind of how I got in this mess to begin with. I ended up with 2 roosters this year. Instead of making soup I brought home more chickens. Hard lesson learned if you think they are safe double security. Didn't realize how quick a dog can dig. I constantly check on my gals but can't 24/7. Didn't get electric fence moved yet but plan on it. And after talking to several people I realize that this dog and maybe more may have to be put down because they are a nuisance dog aka predator. Guess it is a good thing my husband would LOVE to be a full time farmer and really thought we should have just ate Sanchez (one of my roosters). So it's "groundhog rules"in my yard which means do what you gotta do just please make sure I don't see it.

The new is run is almost complete I'll post pics when it is make sure I'm not missing anything. I wish I was a farmer I'm often confused for one because I keep chickens and bees plus I plant a garden. But unfortunately I don't have it in me to kill anything besides bugs (sorry bugs). That's kind of how I got in this mess to begin with. I ended up with 2 roosters this year. Instead of making soup I brought home more chickens. Hard lesson learned if you think they are safe double security. Didn't realize how quick a dog can dig. I constantly check on my gals but can't 24/7. Didn't get electric fence moved yet but plan on it. And after talking to several people I realize that this dog and maybe more may have to be put down because they are a nuisance dog aka predator. Guess it is a good thing my husband would LOVE to be a full time farmer and really thought we should have just ate Sanchez (one of my roosters). So it's "groundhog rules"in my yard which means do what you gotta do just please make sure I don't see it.

:fl hopefully your run will keep those pesty dogs out. If the worst comes to the worst maybe your husband could shoot the dog?

This is the tractor with its original run.
We really should have built a more secure run. I only let pullets in the run when I'm home thinking I would be around if anything was bothering them. Boy was I wrong. After speaking with one of my neighbors (not the dog owners) I've decided she is 100% right. It is completely my responsibility as chicken owner to keep my pets safe from all predators. And with that logic it is completely the responsibility of dog owners to keep their pets safe especially from homeowners who view all dogs in their yard as predators. I promised her that I most likely wouldn't kill any dogs. But I never make promises for my husband. It's really sad when you see your neighbor walking over thinking how nice of her to come give condolences in person. Just to find out no condolences just wanted to tell me not to shoot dogs and its my fault for not protecting chickens. I'm very proud of myself for not blaming her to her face for her dogs death. Her dog was hit by a car not once but twice. Second time killed him. So I'm no longer worried about neighbors if their dog dies because someone shot it in their yard well that is dog owners' fault. If their dog dies because it was hit by a car it's the dog owners' fault.
1f62c.png

That looks like a solid custom built tractor. Did you or your husband build it?
To me, the tractor definitely looks good enough, the run needs some work as you already know.

You said that was your original run, what does it look like now?

The easiest and cheapest thing you could do is put a skirt around the run.
Personally, I'd make the run using 2x2 to frame it and have it detachable so the tractor can easily be moved still.
Use 1/4" hardware cloth for the top and sides and 2" welded wire for the bottom and also use that same welded wire to make a skirt.
The dogs won't beable to dig through the welded wire and by the off chance it digs further back, it'l be met with the welded wire bottom.
The reason I'd use the 2" for the bottom instead of the 1/4" is so the chicken(s) would still have access to the grass.
Since the run is so small, it wouldn't cost much to make it.
2x2s are cheap, hardware cloth and welded wire is cheap if you only need small amounts.

That looks like a solid custom built tractor.  Did you or your husband build it?

To me, the tractor definitely looks good enough, the run needs some work as you already know.

You said that was your [COLOR=333333]original run, what does it look like now?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]The [/COLOR]easiest and cheapest thing you could do is put a skirt around the run.
Personally, I'd make the run using 2x2 to frame it and have it detachable so the tractor can easily be moved still.
Use 1/4" hardware cloth for the top and sides and 2" welded wire for the bottom and also use that same welded wire to make a skirt.
The dogs won't beable to dig through the welded wire and by the off chance it digs further back, it'l be met with the welded wire bottom.
The reason I'd use the 2" for the bottom instead of the 1/4" is so the chicken(s) would still have access to the grass.
Since the run is so small, it wouldn't cost much to make it.
2x2s are cheap, hardware cloth and welded wire is cheap if you only need small amounts.

Yes my husband built he is very handy. I'm pretty sure tractor is critter proof We still have to complete new run when it stops raining ill get pics. Thanks for advice

Have you considered getting a dog that can be trained to protect your flock, yard and property? That might be enough to deter unwanted dogs.

Sheep dogs, Great Pyr's, and some others, can be trained to protect your birds. it might be cheaper than thousands in fencing.

I'm still very young but when I was a child, we had a white Maremma sheepdog (Pastore Maremmano, an italian breed). She was still a puppy. Well, one night she managed to pull out of the cage (probably grabbing the paws) and eat three or four baby rabbits
barnie.gif
In the morning she was completely bloodstained and it was quite strange to see her because Maremma sheepdogs have an immaculate white coat. What I mean is that dogs can be trained obviously but not all dogs can learn
wink.png

Last edited:
I'm still very young but when I was a child, we had a white Maremma sheepdog (Pastore Maremmano, an italian breed). She was still a puppy. Well, one night she managed to pull out of the cage (probably grabbing the paws) and eat three or four baby rabbits
barnie.gif
In the morning she was completely bloodstained and it was quite strange to see her because Maremma sheepdogs have an immaculate white coat. What I mean is that dogs can be trained obviously but not all dogs can learn
wink.png
Of course, not all dogs can be trained... but some breeds of dogs, are more likely to be trainable to leave cages alone, and protect the flock/yard from other predators.

They have a lot of videos on youtube on how to train your sheep dog to watch and alert to hawks and air-predators like owls for their duck flocks... and chickens.

After years and years of BYC stories, plus my own issue with a next door neighbor, I treat EVERY dog like any other predator. After all, it's only a pet if it is on it's OWNER's property. See my sig line. I'm not playing games with loose dogs, not waiting until they actually kill one of my hens who is probably older than the stupid dog and doesn't deserve to be torn apart.

The other day, I had just gotten out of bed when my husband came in the kitchen door and grabbed the shotgun. Two humongous dogs, very well cared for by the looks of them, were running by my perimeter livestock fence on our pasture lot. If they'd made it over, that would have been the end of someone's "pets". To me, they're just predators on my property. I have had dogs most of my life and they were cared for like members of the family, meaning, they were ALWAYS contained on my property, period. So, I have no patience for anyone who allows their dogs to run like wild animals.

Back
Top Bottom