Why do we love chickens so much?

As Chicken Guardians, we are all blessed that the work involved in keeping chickens is so minimal in contrast to the vast rewards. Their hearts beat just like ours and, as such, should be treated with dignity. Like humans, they simply want to spend time with their families. When you treat a chickens' life with respect, you are rewarded with an animal that most chicken farmers never see and most chickens never become. I believe nurturing life helps nurture ones' soul.
Raising chickens for meat or eggs in battery cages is disgusting and should be outlawed. I truly believe that the misery of the bird directly affects the health of the person eating it. Although I am not a vegetarian, I believe that not just Americans but the world as a whole consumes way too much meat. Banning battery cage-raised chickens would free up millions of acres previously used for growing grain for chicken feed and could be converted to growing veg/fruit for humans. Eating meat 2-3x/week isn't only plenty, but will definitely save your family money.
FYI: I do raise 12 meat chickens and purchase a butchered cow and pig each year for our meat supply. I do eat meat but if it comes down to going without or buying meat from an animal who had never seen the sun, felt the earth beneath its' feet, or smelled fresh-cut grass - I see that as a line I, a fellow animal, will not cross.
These are my views and I do not expect everyone to agree but I do believe the each and everyone should atleast look into animal rights, educate themselves, and find out where your views stand. It's easy to buy "slave meat/eggs" when you choose not to open your eyes to what is really going on. Afterwards, if the idea of battery raised chickens doesn't offend you, buy as much as you like.
hc

I couldn't agree with you more. I would go so far as to say that people like me who don't raise and slaughter our own animals, have little right to eat meat. So while I believe this, I do eat meat from the store. For Americans it is just too easy to buy packaged meat that doesn't resemble an animal and cook it up. And, for us, it is cheap resulting in disrespect for life.
I respect you for being willing to give an animal a good life and killing it humanely. I am not able to do that not only because it isn't really feasible but because I am a coward. My birds will be safe with me--unless I am starving in which case the situation may rapidly change.
I wonder: do you have a different relationship between your meat birds and layers?

Why we (I) love chickens:

They are beautiful, coming in hundreds of colors.

They are humerous, and comical, and possibly the funniest animals on earth

They are very sweet and loving when properly raised, hence being very good pets

They come running to see you when you go out to the coop to see them

They make eggs that take a lot of hard work and exertion

They are fun, funny, and very sweet

They may be the only pet that makes breakfast, is an alarm clock (roosters) and have to wear a diaper

I know that I love chickens for all these reasons and more. I know that I love chickens because we have spent maybe $400-$500 on them in coop supplies, food, and more chickens. Even though I have had my heart broken by chickens, I still love them to the end.
love.gif

R.I.P: Minni, Molly, Betty, Betsy, Beauty, April, Sticky Bun, Rusty, Kingsy, Percy, Pepper, Peeper, and Maizey... You all will be missed. I curse the dog that killed the half of you. I hate the fate that took the lives of the rest of you. May you all Rest In Peace.
hit.gif

I wonder: do you have a different relationship between your meat birds and layers?
I can't help but get close to all of the animals I keep. It's just the kind of person I am. The trick I use with meat birds is to get 25+ birds so that there are too many birds to get attached to them all. Right now I have 20 Dark Cornishes. Out of that 5 are cockerels and 15 are pullets. I've kept them for longer than most people would (6 months) because I am picking a "foundation flock" out of them so that I can raise my own. I am keeping 1 cock and 4,5, or 6 pullets. Though "Hatchery Cornish" are looked down upon in the Cornish thread, they are a very intelligent and alert bird and the hens lay 3-5 medium to large sized eggs/week. Their coloring keeps them well camoflaged, the cockerels are very watchful. and both birds are fearless. I've witnessed them going after a group of four 6ft tall Sandhill Cranes and chase them out of our yard.
My layers consist of 4 OEG bantams, 2 d'Uccles, 1 Sebright, and 10 Silver Spangled Hamburgs. Although my bantams lke being handled, the Hamburgs are the complete opposite. They aren't really "fighty" but do have a wildness in them. They don't like to be handled and make noises that I've never heard a chicken make before when they sound an alert. The hens almost look like little roadrunners and the cock looks like a spotted pheasant.
Slaughtering my chickens is no trivial task to me. There is a dark cloud on the days leading up and days immediately after. After the first slaughter, I did have nightmares for a week or two. For me, it doesn't get easier. But I don't trust anyone else to do it and as odd as it sounds, I feel I should be the one to do it.

i love my girls because i watch them blossom. I get them from the battery cages and take them home. they arrive emaciated, some with broken wings and bright green bruises, huge combs that cover their eyes so they can only see out of one eye. Some of them have some white downy fluff on but most are bald. Some cannot peck at the food because they have had their beaks cut so horrendously and have to be hand fed until their get the hang of free ranging and gradually wear down the beak to a more normal shape. sometimes their claws are so long it makes their feel look at least twice as large. Seeing them take their first terrified steps, is amazing. Watching them feel the sun on their skin as they quickly plop themselves down on the ground to sunbathe is so special and seeing the look of bliss on their face when they have their first dustbath is incredible. but the most wonderful thing is when they start taking you for granted and you know they have left their old life and memories behind.

i love my girls because i watch them blossom. I get them from the battery cages and take them home. they arrive emaciated, some with broken wings and bright green bruises, huge combs that cover their eyes so they can only see out of one eye. Some of them have some white downy fluff on but most are bald. Some cannot peck at the food because they have had their beaks cut so horrendously and have to be hand fed until their get the hang of free ranging and gradually wear down the beak to a more normal shape. sometimes their claws are so long it makes their feel look at least twice as large. Seeing them take their first terrified steps, is amazing. Watching them feel the sun on their skin as they quickly plop themselves down on the ground to sunbathe is so special and seeing the look of bliss on their face when they have their first dustbath is incredible. but the most wonderful thing is when they start taking you for granted and you know they have left their old life and memories behind.

We need more people like you in this world.

Back
Top Bottom