Why i do not want GMO in my food or my pets food

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gross Factor: In addition to supplementing fish food with GM vegetable oils, fish farmers are tossing land-based factory-farm leftovers into these salmon pens, says Bridson. Chicken litter (basically feathers and waste), bonemeal and other poultry by-products are all being added to salmon food, which raises a host of issues. Researchers from the Johns Hopkins University recently discovered that chicken litter imported from China is full of banned antibiotics, Prozac, and caffeine, which are given to chickens to help them survive the stressful and dirty conditions of factory farms. All that could wind up in your "healthy" salmon dinner.
Weird Frankenfish
Gross Factor: The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has been sitting on an application for genetically modified salmon for a few years now. The fish, bred to contain genes from two separate animals so that they grow faster, contain lower levels of omega-3 fatty acids and certain vitamins than either conventional farmed or wild salmon, and eat far more than conventional farmed salmon, adding to environmental pressure on wild stocks. Independent research also suggests that genetically modifying seafood of any kind could lead to an increase in seafood allergies. If approved—and it's expected to be, anytime now—the FDA wouldn't require genetically modified salmon to be labeled,
This article has a lot more to say.

http://www.rodale.com/salmon-farming?cm_mmc=TheDailyFixNL-_-1131346-_-12102012-_-the_truth_about_salmon_text

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom