Why i do not want GMO in my food or my pets food

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your against gmo but I bet you raise hatchery birds. Don't you think that your birds are modified for maximum performance? How do you think hatcheries can crank out chicks like they do. They sure aren't the same old chickens grandma had. Think about it. I may be off base a little here but I get tired of hearing some folks complain about gmo but they're raising cornish rocks.
There is a difference between modified by selective breeding (As hatchery farms do, and Cornish Rocks) and even possibly lighting some breeds which is the result of where hatcheries get their chicks from. Also, keep in mind that hatcheries are not cranking out thousands a hen; but merely they have thousands of hens per large breeding barn if you will with a variety of cocks to fertilize the eggs with. Because birds are selected for maximum laying ability that would be why they tend to be poor in other circumstances (I.e. Dual-purpose birds are not that great at being dual-purpose as focus is on egg laying capability (i.e. profit)).

Monsanto on the other hand, is modifying species by gene splicing (which I believe I hear is illegal to do unless you are a scientist, which hatchery owners are not); they're incorporating genes into the species that would not have naturally been put in there.. Like Jelly fish genes are one example I heard of, I recently heard a new project in GMO is incorporating human genes into beef. This is done, if I recall correctly, by needing a virus like E. Coli to also connect the genes together as nothing else was capable of getting the genes into the cells (if I recall correctly, as I am recalling from a documentary I watched some time ago on that issue).

From my understanding you cannot obtain seed from GMO or Monsanto without signing a contract that you will not save the seed for future growth. Their stock is patented, in the law it mentions that regardless of how the seed/plant got into your farm land (I.e. blown from trucks carrying Monsanto products by, spills, whatsoever way) if you are caught growing it they will sue you for patent infringement. Many farmers have been dealing with this, which is in the documentary I can provide a link to if you wish.. Once the case is settled in court, whether you win it or lose it, the farmers are not permitted to provide a lot of details regarding the ordeal.

God bless,
Daniel.

Last edited:
I, too, am concerned about feeding my animals GMO food. I have done quite a bit of research on this lately, and have found chicken food that is non GMO: Scratch and Peck Feeds is the one I've switched my chickens to. I've also discovered Acana Pet Foods; the products they make the dog food out of are GMO free, or so their food bags claim.

I would prefer to have a CHOICE as to if I want to eat or give my animals GMO crops. In my mind, if a genetically modified corn contains properties that cause the insides of a pest insect to explode when they ingest it......ummm.... I know the affect is geared towards insect pests, but isn't there a chance that such a "food" isn't as healthy for humans/animals to eat as regular corn? Also, since Monsanto has so much power within our government food safety programs......isn't that like a fox guarding the hen house? Monsanto's claim that their seed is good for the environment because it decreases pesticide use has not been proven long term, and in my area, the farmers here now use MORE chemicals than they did before they switched to GMO seed. The sugar beets are more water hungry and there is more leaf wilt when it gets hot during the summer. They look so sad. What chemicals will Monsanto unleash once the insects become immune? What kind of proper testing can we expect from a company that is out for the dollar?

Just a thought. LABEL IT, please.

just because it is labeled "organic" do NOT mean it's non-GMO. Organic simply means it was grown with out the use of pesticides and herbicides, and contains at least 95% Organic ingredients. The other 5% could be GMO and non organic ingredients. Search for 100% organic and look the for certified "non-GMO project verified" label. Even on human food.

I don't "like" nor "dislike" them
I DO like sticking to facts instead of misinformation

Some of the postitve aspects are 85% less pesticide use, and lower fuel costs, which in turn reduces pollution, and keeps food costs lower

Add in the fact that there have been no PROVEN harmful effects, and it's just simple logic

Actually no offense but your information is incorrect. For one the less amount of pesticides and herbicides is short lived. Less than three years to be exact. Then the amounts vastly increase exponentially. As far as herbicides which is one of the most common uses with round up ready crops the "weeds" are becoming resistant to round up, especially at lower amounts. So the solutions is to use more with a mix of other herbicides.

Now there are a number of lab tests that have done that call into question the health of gmos. There exists a "new" organism that cannot be classified as last I heard that is connected to feeding gmo grains to cows.

Now as for how gmos are used for pesticides and herbicides that brings into one of the larger issues. Pesticides were invented to kill human beings. They are lessened and then studied to how they can effect insects at lower levels. But these often kill indiscriminately, in other words you kill the good with the bad. Still it is even more complex as the half lifes of these materials continue to live on in the food web. That means that the can build up in animals along the way to include you and me. So as temporary measure they may not be that harmful but as you increase exposure over time combined with greater applications and cocktails you are heading for large problems.

Animals to include you and I receive our health indirectly from the health of the soil. When you have poison that remains in the soil organisms fail to do well. You can create an imbalance as many beneficial organisms do not migrate as well as pest organisms. So you have interfered with a balance that now requires your interference.

Now lets also look at the technology that is used in order to create genetically engineered organisms which is a more appropriate term. A gene gun has been the most common way to insert a foreign gene into a sequence. Sounds good so far. The problem comes from two aspects of the technology which degrades it as a scientific technology. One is that the gene particles cannot be inserted into an intended part of the gene sequence. So the insertion is blind at best. Unfortunately it also can cause damaged genes to express and the gene inserted to be damaged. This still does not mean that when they then select for plants that show a marker or express what they want that they are also looking for all the possible negative effects that can come with this technology.

That brings up the second major problem. In order to insure the gene that is inserted expresses itself they have manipulated the gene to essentially be forced on the entire time. Some genes remain in a sequence and have not expressed themselves for who knows how long...thousands of years. These can be part of the splintered genes during the violent collusion and thus can cause a sequence to be turned on during the life of the plant such as certain chemicals that cause an allergic reaction can increase their levels to a point that more people who previously showed no allergies to a food now have.

There are numerous other aspects to consider. My main point is that we know poisons are bad and that is the major use of this technology. The secondary main point is there is a giant lack of knowledge of genetics to utilize such a technology as well the lack of a more precise, thus viable technology to implement such actions.

Thus I conclude the use of this technology and the manipulation of the government agencies in order to bring this technology onto the market before it is rigorously tested can only be motivated by a short term profit due to a true lack of willingness to invest in such a technology. Had this technology began development inside the government it would continue at the tax payer expense only to fall back into the hands of corporations such as Monsanto for pennies on the dollar just as a number of their factories and technologies were purchased after World War II. By eliminating competition and regulatory bodies influence we are dealing with motivations that are highly questionable. You are now a guinea pig and pandora's box is open and can never be closed again.

I would be more than happy to point you to articles, books etc. in order for you to see the scientific data for yourself.

In the end I live in a country for which I have literally shed blood for to defend your freedoms and I am not allowed the basic freedom of choice without an unfair cost to me. While the government subsidizes companies like Monsanto both directly and indirectly.

We can also discuss the amount of energy and oil used in this type of farming and what it means to the future and the costs of our everyday life while a few reap large profits from this.

After reading through these posts I am so glad to see that there are many of us out there who are opposed to GMO's in food. I have known about GMO's and there ill effects on us for a few years now. But going back a few years when I used to talk about GMO's no one had a clue as to what I was speaking about, and looked at me as if I was nuts.As more and more people are becoming aware of what is going on with our food supply and what companies like Monsanto are doing to our food, maybe things will start to change. Just because the ill effects from eating these foods aren't immediate doesn't mean there are none. I am thinking it will probably be years down the road before major ill effects are seen from consuming these foods. Then it will be to late.
sad.png

That is true there is no total and undeniable proof for GMO foods one way oe the other. However, the experts have just this year declaired Global Warming to be caused by human beings. The debate started in the 1970s and most people who brought it up were poo-pooed and told there was no proof. And they were just wrong. So again we are the quinea pigs for this(GMO) experiment. And our choice has been taken away from us because it is not unlawful to not declare on a food package if there are GMOs in what you purchase.

Now Monsanto has introduced a new herbicide into the seeds because they have found the round up ready to be lacking because the weeds are adapting and no longer controlled by round up. This new herbicide is related to Agent Orange, which was used in the Vietnam war with devastating results felt to this day, except the dioxin part is taken out of it. There are many other carcinegans in this new herbicide. Do you really want to eat this stuff?

In my opinion the best thing to do is stay away from this food as much as you can. Be informed and look up what products do have GMOs in them. Many more than what a person would think. Just do the best you can there is no way to be perfect And pray and hope for the best. In the mean time try to be at peace and enjoy the good things in life. :)

Your against gmo but I bet you raise hatchery birds. Don't you think that your birds are modified for maximum performance? How do you think hatcheries can crank out chicks like they do. They sure aren't the same old chickens grandma had. Think about it. I may be off base a little here but I get tired of hearing some folks complain about gmo but they're raising cornish rocks.
No my hens are coming from an organic farm non soy non corn non gmo fed.
Spendy yes but healthy YES.

I an anti-GMO for two very simple reasons. The first reason is less to do with the fact that the crops are genetically modified and more to do with HOW--if I'm not happy with the quantity of pesticides, herbicides, and other chemicals being used on crops now, why would I want crops that are modified so that they can survive the application of even MORE chemicals? Most of the GMO's I've been hearing about aren't modified to have larger yields or be resistant to disease--they're modified so that farmers can spray more roundup crap on them without killing them. That idea does not appeal to me.

The second reason is the way these huge companies *coughMonsantocough* destroy farmers' liveliehoods. If you're a farmer growing soybeans in a field next to a farmer who grows Monsanto's GMO soybeans, and the breeze carries pollen from that GMO field onto yours, if you save the seeds from your OWN CROP, you are considered a criminal. We have become a country where huge corporations are allowed to tell an American citizen what to do with his own crop, where someone is punished as a thief because of the direction of the wind, and where we are not allowed to provide for ourselves--we either buy from the big, all-powerful corporation, or we don't grow food at all.

There's also the small matter of some genuinely scary GMO's going on, like putting human genes into food that is grown openly in the great outdoors and can then cross-pollinate with anything withing blowing distance of the wind. How do you feel about human liver genes in your next bowl of rice? We have no way to control where this GMO "data" gets carried by the wind, what it cross-pollinates with, or what long-term effect it may have on us and our food supply. We're not taking the time to test these things, or what effects they may have before just chucking them into our entire food supply. I don't know about you guys, but I don't like the idea of our food supply--our ENTIRE food supply--being the guinea pig for every GMO frankestein they can come up with.

I think the science of genetically modifying organisms is fascinating and potentially very useful, but anything we create needs to be tested thoroughly BEFORE being inflicted on the public. It needs to be labeled clearly, so that we the people can make informed choices, and it needs to be changes that are actually of benefit rather than just trudging down the same failing road we've been on for decades with pesticide and herbicide resistance. Also, the American people need to be guaranteed the right to preserve and produce our own food so that monsters like Monsanto can't come and and tell us what to do with our own crops. It's one thing to hold a customer to contract who purchased your product, but to go to his neighbor who has never bought a Monsanto product and take him to court for violating your patent because the wind blew your pollen onto HIS field... That's just BS. I cannot support GMO's as long as that continues to happen.

Here, here! Couldn't agree more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom