Why is my Pekin duck "sneezing"?

She seems much better this afternoon. Still a little whistle when she breathes and the only sneezing I've seen/heard was after I turned her loose after medicating her (I'm very careful to get it in her esophagus). We shall see what tomorrow brings for her!

She seems much better this afternoon. Still a little whistle when she breathes and the only sneezing I've seen/heard was after I turned her loose after medicating her (I'm very careful to get it in her esophagus). We shall see what tomorrow brings for her!
Great news!!! so you up her dosage of Tylan?

Yes, I upped it to 2.5c.f. and gave her .1cc of Ivomec yesterday. If she is still doing it (just heard her again, ugh!) I'll start the safeguard probably on Saturday.

Yes, I upped it to 2.5c.f. and gave her .1cc of Ivomec yesterday. If she is still doing it (just heard her again, ugh!) I'll start the safeguard probably on Saturday.
Keep us updated..
fl.gif
all this helps.

Well, went to the vet and he said that the young duck isn't in good shape. He said she does have some sort of respiratory issue and he thinks there may be some sort of obstruction in her chest. He put both her and the adult on doxy again, and we had him give them both a shot since we have to get the doxy from a compounding pharmacy, so it takes around 5 days to arrive. He also ordered an anti-fungal oral med for the younger one. Can't remember the name, but it begins with a T.

I asked about probiotics, and he said those are advisable and recommended Primalac. I can easily find that online, other than where to buy it. Can the rest of you tell me which probiotics you feel good about?

I also asked about deworming. He said there's no harm in doing that spring and fall, and he recommended either Wazine or Ivermectin. Wazine doesn't make sense to me unless I have a known roundworm infection, and Ivermectin treats a broader spectrum. Safeguard has also been mentioned. Which is best if you don't have a known worm issue? Also, are the topicals okay? Seems to me those would be the easiest ones to use to know they're getting the correct amount.

For reasons I don't have time to go into right now, I'm thinking of looking for another vet.

@casportpony , @Amiga , @Miss Lydia

The problem may be aspergillis, in which case the anti fungal would make sense. There is a Majestic Waterfowl newsletter about Laddy and asper - you may want to look that over.

I would have a fecal done, as I prefer not to deworm unless there are worms. I took Carmella in when I thought she might have gapeworm and the doc looked down her throat and did a fecal test. No parasites found.

I have used Vitamins and Electrolytes Plus made by Agrilabs.
hugs.gif

Well, went to the vet and he said that the young duck isn't in good shape. He said she does have some sort of respiratory issue and he thinks there may be some sort of obstruction in her chest. He put both her and the adult on doxy again, and we had him give them both a shot since we have to get the doxy from a compounding pharmacy, so it takes around 5 days to arrive. He also ordered an anti-fungal oral med for the younger one. Can't remember the name, but it begins with a T.

I asked about probiotics, and he said those are advisable and recommended Primalac. I can easily find that online, other than where to buy it. Can the rest of you tell me which probiotics you feel good about?

I also asked about deworming. He said there's no harm in doing that spring and fall, and he recommended either Wazine or Ivermectin. Wazine doesn't make sense to me unless I have a known roundworm infection, and Ivermectin treats a broader spectrum. Safeguard has also been mentioned. Which is best if you don't have a known worm issue? Also, are the topicals okay? Seems to me those would be the easiest ones to use to know they're getting the correct amount.

For reasons I don't have time to go into right now, I'm thinking of looking for another vet.

@casportpony , @Amiga , @Miss Lydia
What kind of obstruction in her chest? I like safe guard Kathy is the one who rec it and I have used it many times. I also use Valbazen. As for probiotics I bought a product called Bird Powder for all birds I had to buy on line since our feed store carries nothing .I hope both your lil Calls get well JCG

The problem may be aspergillis, in which case the anti fungal would make sense. There is a Majestic Waterfowl newsletter about Laddy and asper - you may want to look that over.

I would have a fecal done, as I prefer not to deworm unless there are worms. I took Carmella in when I thought she might have gapeworm and the doc looked down her throat and did a fecal test. No parasites found.

I have used Vitamins and Electrolytes Plus made by Agrilabs.
hugs.gif
He mentioned the possibility of aspergillosis, and that's why he's adding the anti-fungal. I just don't understand it. We don't have any of the conditions that would make us "at risk" for aspergillosis. He said it's basically everywhere and ducks with weak immune systems can become symptomatic even if they aren't being kept in poor conditions. He asked if we wanted to euthanize her since we'd told him she doesn't have a name because she's not a keeper. I said no, not being a keeper means she's in the sale category, not a duck we're going to keep as a breeder, and that it didn't mean we wanted to see her die.

After back and forth about the cost of various things, we told him we wanted to treat her, but we didn't want to pay $350 for an aspergillosis panel if the treatment was going to be the same as what he was giving us without the panel.

Back
Top Bottom