Why is Purina feed "bad"?

Could someone tell me what people have against store brand food like Purina? I am really in the dark on this one
hu.gif
(and need to be enlightened!!)

I don't necessarily believe everything I read, and I know ppl on here have their opinions and their tried and true method of things, but I mean, a member of this site has "Purina = poison" as their signature. I'd go to that person directly, but I'm more interested in the general consensus vs strong personal belief. I've seen it implied here numerous times, but I've never looked into it. My chickens used to be free range all day, but recently a fox has discovered them, taken some, and i swear is now casing the place. Also, my neighbor's dog got loose and grabbed two. So now they have to be in a run and only taken out if we're with them. Now, I have more reason to be concerned about their food since they're consuming more of it and less bugs and stuff.

Thanks.
Our personal experience with the Purina "Producer's Pride" brand is as follows. We keep a decent sized backyard flock, and when feeding them Purina, we saw laying problems. Even accounting for seasonal differences in laying rate, 0-2 eggs a day didn't make sense. We switched brands to a local feed store, and within a week saw eggs laid go up. We're up to 2 dozen a day, without increasing the number of hens at all.

Personally, I think Purina is being cheap and adulterating their feed with more fillers to cut costs, and that's being passed onto our animals. I don't think Purina = poison, but I do think it isn't good nutrition.

Another data point to consider: We've changed cat and dog foods too, and our pets are healthier and more energetic now too.

I just called around and all our local mills carry only Purina brand except TCS which sell their own brand called Dumor. Has anyone used the Dumor brand from TSC? It's what I'm feeding mine at the moment. You'd think out of 4 mills one would grind their own 'high quality' food.
tongue.gif
I just called around and all our local mills carry only Purina brand except TCS which sell their own brand called Dumor. Has anyone used the Dumor brand from TSC? It's what I'm feeding mine at the moment. You'd think out of 4 mills one would grind their own 'high quality' food.

tongue.gif
Dumor feeds and Producers Pride are both manufactured by Purina. I use Dumor organic starter chick but am looking into Cluck Co. Potentially due to the small bags that are 10$ per 5 lb. Bags. When I can get 25 for $25 and seem to have more balanced ingredients and decent protein content. I will say the slow mixing has resulted in nasty smelling and wetter poos 💩so not sure if I will continue to transition.

Back
Top Bottom