Why is Purina feed "bad"?

That is Countryside Organics. I was so excited when I learned they had drop points close to home. The ingredients sound impeccable. But............the chickens didnt like it. Th

The people were great. But...........the chickens didnt like it at all. Too powdery and they really didnt want the peas. Lot of wastage. Even when moistened.

Does Purina use GMO corn in their products?

(GMO's are Genetically Modified Organisms from Monsanto)

The GMO corn has its DNA genetically modified with Round Up.

Quote:

Quote: Agreed! I use their Flight Conditioner on occasion when I want a non-medicated grower feed for chicks, however, it's rather pricey when compared to my Tucker Milling Starter/Grower feed (which only comes in medicated). I have no issue with their Game Bird Feeds except that the poop sure stinks worse when the chicks are eating that for some reason.

Does Purina use GMO corn in their products?

(GMO's are Genetically Modified Organisms from Monsanto)

The GMO corn has its DNA genetically modified with Round Up.

Most likely. And unless you choose a certified organic feed, (or buy locally from a farmer you trust,) so will anything else you buy.

It's one of those areas where you have to choose your battles. I would rather buy locally, but what I believe is our 'local' mill (Flint River Mills, the bags are labeled 'FRM',) is one that uses chicken byproducts in their feed. [See link.] So... I'd rather feed mine GMO corn than bits of what I'd bet are confinement house raised chickens.

I see that Nutrena also has a 'vegetarian' meat bird feed -- it has higher protein but lower fat than the Purina Flock Raiser I have been using. I haven't decided whether that would be better. But... same deal, most likely it has GMO corn and soy in it.

-Wendy

Most likely. And unless you choose a certified organic feed, (or buy locally from a farmer you trust,) so will anything else you buy.

It's one of those areas where you have to choose your battles. I would rather buy locally, but what I believe is our 'local' mill (Flint River Mills, the bags are labeled 'FRM',) is one that uses chicken byproducts in their feed. [See link.] So... I'd rather feed mine GMO corn than bits of what I'd bet are confinement house raised chickens.

I see that Nutrena also has a 'vegetarian' meat bird feed -- it has higher protein but lower fat than the Purina Flock Raiser I have been using. I haven't decided whether that would be better. But... same deal, most likely it has GMO corn and soy in it.

-Wendy
IMO,
Buckeye still makes the best "Multi-flock" Feed. Big 4 has been out forever and IMO it's the "Multi-flock" everyone else is trying to be.

Big 4 ---

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS -
Crude Protein, min. 20.00%
Lysine, min. 1.10%
Methionine, min 0.39%
Crude Fat, min. 3.50%
Crude Fiber, max. 4.00%
Calcium, min. 0.70%
Calcium, max. 1.20%
Phosphorus, min. 0.65%
Salt, min. 0.10%
Salt, max. 0.60%

INGREDIENTS -
Ground Corn, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Wheat Middlings, Porcine Meat Meal,
Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Lysine, DL-Methionine,
Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Phosphate, Salt, Manganous Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate,
Zinc Oxide, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3
Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K
Activity), Riboflavin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin Supplement, Pyridoxine
Hydrochloride, Choline Chloride, d-Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic
Acid, Dried Saccharomyces cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, Brewers Dried Yeast.

FEATURES -
• Highly fortified pellets designed to provide the nutrients required of fast growing turkeys
• Recommended for game birds, ducks, geese, pigeons, and for non-laying chickens where lower calcium levels are required
• Does not contain medication
• Natural microbial products have been added to the product to promote improved bird health
• Elevated Niacin and choline levels to meet the requirements of young goslings

Chris

Last edited:
That is Countryside Organics. I was so excited when I learned they had drop points close to home. The ingredients sound impeccable. But............the chickens didnt like it. Th

The people were great. But...........the chickens didnt like it at all. Too powdery and they really didnt want the peas. Lot of wastage. Even when moistened.

Ah, that's too bad. :( Were the chickens used to a different feed beforehand? My flock was raised on it so perhaps I had that advantage, but mine love it. I will say that when I switched from grower to layer, they snubbed the peas at first, but after about a week they were eating them first out of the mash. Chickens can be strange and frustrating at times.

I use Purina feed for my chickens because it is higher quality crumbles, smells good and fresh to me, and is not powdery like many of the leading brands people on here recommend. My chickens prefer it to other brands and they have been very healthy. I collected feed labels from every major brand I could buy here and none could compare with quality. I tried layer crumbles from Southern States last year, and it stunk up my car so bad for weeks. Purina is pricey, but many people feed their dogs higher priced premium dog foods that probably cost twice as much as a bag of chicken feed.

I use Purina feed for my chickens because it is higher quality crumbles, smells good and fresh to me, and is not powdery like many of the leading brands people on here recommend. My chickens prefer it to other brands and they have been very healthy. I collected feed labels from every major brand I could buy here and none could compare with quality. I tried layer crumbles from Southern States last year, and it stunk up my car so bad for weeks. Purina is pricey, but many people feed their dogs higher priced premium dog foods that probably cost twice as much as a bag of chicken feed.
Since your in Ohio you should be able to get Buckeye, Kent and Hubbard which all three are better feed than Purina.

Buckeye has a excellent line of feed.
Starter--

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
Crude Protein, min. 18.00%
Lysine, min. 0.85%
Methionine, min 0.35%
Crude Fat, min. 3.50%
Crude Fiber, max. 5.00%
Calcium, min. 0.70%
Calcium, max. 1.20%
Phosphorus, min. 0.60%
Salt, min. 0.30%
Salt, max. 0.80%
INGREDIENTS: Grain Products, Processed Grain By-products, Plant Protein Products,
Porcine Animal Protein Products, Forage Products, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed
tocopherols), DL-Methionine, Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Phosphate, Salt, Manganous
Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Cobalt
Carbonate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E
Supplement, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite (source of Vitamin K Activity),
Riboflavin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B-12
Supplement, Choline Chloride, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine
Mononitrate, d-Biotin, Ethoxyquin (a preservative), Dried Saccharomyces cerevisiae
Fermentation Solubles, Brewers Dried Yeast, Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product,
Enterococcus faecium fermentation product.

Grower--
GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
Crude Protein, min. 15.00%
Lysine, min. 0.66%
Methionine, min 0.26%
Crude Fat, min. 3.00%
Crude Fiber, max. 8.00%
Calcium, min. 0.60%
Calcium, max. 1.10%
Phosphorus, min. 0.65%
Salt, min. 0.20%
Salt, max. 0.70%
INGREDIENTS: Grain Products, Processed Grain By-Products, Plant Protein Products,
Porcine Animal Protein Products, Forage Products, DL Methionine, Calcium Carbonate,
Calcium Phosphate, Salt, Manganous Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Oxide,
Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Cobalt Carbonate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Acetate,
Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite
(source of Vitamin K Activity), Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, d-Calcium
Pantothenate, Choline Chloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine
Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Ethoxyquin (a preservative).

Layer --
GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
Lysine, min. 1.00%
Methionine, min 0.40%
Crude Fat, min. 3.00%
Crude Fiber, max. 5.00%
Calcium, min. 3.00%
Calcium, max. 4.00%
Phosphorus, min. 0.90%
Salt, min. 0.30%
Salt, max. 0.80%
INGREDIENTS: Grain Products, Processed Grain By-Products, Plant Protein Products,
Porcine Animal Protein Products, Forage Products, DL Methionine, Calcium Carbonate,
Calcium Phosphate, Salt, Manganous Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Oxide,
Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Cobalt Carbonate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Supplement,
Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite
(source of Vitamin K Activity), Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, d-Calcium
Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine
Mononitrate, Biotin, Choline Chloride, Ethoxyquin (a preservative)

Milti-Flock
GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
Lysine, min. 1.10%
Methionine, min 0.39%
Crude Fat, min. 3.50%
Crude Fiber, max. 4.00%
Calcium, min. 0.70%
Calcium, max. 1.20%
Phosphorus, min. 0.65%
Salt, min. 0.10%
Salt, max. 0.60%
INGREDIENTS Ground Corn, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Wheat Middlings, Porcine Meat Meal,
Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Lysine, DL-Methionine,
Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Phosphate, Salt, Manganous Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate,
Zinc Oxide, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3
Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K
Activity), Riboflavin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin Supplement, Pyridoxine
Hydrochloride, Choline Chloride, d-Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic
Acid, Dried Saccharomyces cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, Brewers Dried Yeast.

Chris

Purina Start n Grow is the only feed I can find for chicks, so that's what I use. When they hit 18 weeks I feed Southern States All Grain Pellets for laying hens. When meat birds feather out I feed Southern States Meat Bird Maker.

Back
Top Bottom