Why isn't my Egyptian Fayoumi growing?

Alexandra33

Chook Snuggler
9 Years
Apr 3, 2015
Northwest Ohio - The Buckeye State!
Hello, all! One of my almost 2 1/2 week old chicks has been slowly dwarfed by not only her Fayoumi, Spitzhauben and Cream Legbar "siblings," but also the 3 1/2 week old bantams. She just isn't growing much at all, so is she just going to end up being a bantam-sized Fayoumi?
Minnie is in the middle.

Compared to a Porcelain d'Uccle, who is a week older.

Next to her sister, Iris. See how much smaller she is?

~Alex

Last edited:
Thought I'd chime in. We got this one from Meyer about 7 weeks ago. She never seemed quite right. I know, I know. Cull. Couldn't do it and now we're doing physical therapy. Actually took her to the vet after 5 weeks and they made 2 knee incisions to drain her knee. Her knees and feet seem to be the problem. Therefore no balance. So we'll see how little Nile does. Named her Nile since she's Egyptian and that was my Grandma's middle name.
wink.png

Jason

Aren't Egyptian Fayoumi smaller chickens though? Mediterranean sized? But compared to the D'Uccle that is a big difference, are you sure you have a Egyptian Fayoumi and not something like a OEGB?

If you can get her to start growing normally, usually they catch up in size by maturity but the ability to do that is affected by why they're not growing properly in the first place! You might try giving her a vitamin supplement, probiotic, and feeding her some high-protein snacks (mashed cooked egg for instance) to see if that helps jump-start her.

At least it isn't like the one I saw at tractor supply yesterday that's head and neck is all sideways. Is she getting enough food? Brooder looks crowded. I have a smaller egyptian of my own she got chilled in shipment I brought her back with honey water she is still smaller but slowly growing and feathering in she is just about 4 weeks now and 1/2 the size of her sister. I noticed they are super skittish. Maybe it's to afraid to eat enough? I just got my egyptians to start eating out of my hands a week ago after a lot of persistence. Or maybe it's deformed?

Aren't Egyptian Fayoumi smaller chickens though? Mediterranean sized? But compared to the D'Uccle that is a big difference, are you sure you have a Egyptian Fayoumi and not something like a OEGB?
Fayoumis are very small LF, but I don't think THAT miniscule. I mean, she's smaller than my Buttercup was at that age, who also had stunted growth due to a back injury. I'm pretty sure she is was Meyer said she was, and what's more, they don't carry OEGBs (though that would be cool!).
smile.png
She's literally not changed in size much at all since we got her!

If you can get her to start growing normally, usually they catch up in size by maturity but the ability to do that is affected by why they're not growing properly in the first place! You might try giving her a vitamin supplement, probiotic, and feeding her some high-protein snacks (mashed cooked egg for instance) to see if that helps jump-start her.
That's great advice; thank you!
thumbsup.gif
We've given her scrambled eggs in the past, though not consistently enough, I'm afraid.

At least it isn't like the one I saw at tractor supply yesterday that's head and neck is all sideways. Is she getting enough food? Brooder looks crowded. I have a smaller egyptian of my own she got chilled in shipment I brought her back with honey water she is still smaller but slowly growing and feathering in she is just about 4 weeks now and 1/2 the size of her sister. I noticed they are super skittish. Maybe it's to afraid to eat enough? I just got my egyptians to start eating out of my hands a week ago after a lot of persistence. Or maybe it's deformed?
We are going to be splitting them up into two brooders today, because they are growing so fast it isn't even funny.
smile.png
I've seen Minnie eating quite often, actually, but it doesn't seem to put meat on her bones. She doesn't seem to be deformed, or skittish, while Iris, the other Fayoumi, is INCREDIBLY flighty.

Thanks, guys!
~Alex

Maybe you will have the mini version of egyptian. New line bantam Egyptians lol. Hope she starts growing it always sad to see a baby struggling without being able to help it! They are strong little buggers tho my two were the smallest in my shipment and both survived a night at the post office (they didn't call when they came in) I lost 3/4 of my babies. Thankfully Mc Murray has great customer service and credited me on my next order my losses covered my next order. It was terrible to watch them keep dieing from getting to cold :( but ya fingers crossed for her to start growing!

Back
Top Bottom