Why NPIP if....?

There is no national requirement that testing be done by a third party. Some states may have that requirement, but there are a number of states where, if you are a certified tester, you can indeed certify your own flock.

Well, so ... it comes down to "cause the told you so". Does anyone know what the day is like when they come for Tennessee residents? Tennessee historically has a reputation of being less strick about alot of things like this. I'm wondering what all is envolved HERE. I know some of you have all sorts of things you have to do... but what about TN? I even heard people say that their state makes them put out poison for rats. I don't do that. I have cats. Not rats. I'm not going to put out poison, for anything... ever. So... anyone from TN...?

Last edited:
Quote:
First, have you checked your state's Department of Agriculture website for NPIP information? Second, if you change the title of this thread you may be able to get more Tennesseeans to enter the discussion.

NPIP was set up to stop pullorum from chicken flocks. Worked great, It is not saying your birds are healthy, just free from 3 deadly diseases.

Doesnt cost that much, and belonging to NPIP is to help you, NOT to keep track ,who has or how many birds you have.

Most State will let you import eggs or chicks from NPIP flocks. It is there to protect you from getting birds carring these three disease.

People importing or exporting hatching eggs, and chicks are putting everyone at risk. If they dont have their flocks tested. reason states have these laws.

Quote:
If you want to do the tests yourself for your own peace of mind that's fine, but to take birds to a show, or move them across state lines, or sell them to somebody that wants the test results, people would have to take you on your word that you did the test properly and came up with a negative result. That's where the NPIP program comes in. It gives you a certification that your birds have tested negative for pullorum (or other diseases) that you can provide as proof. I don't see it so much as government meddling, but as a service to help protect the nation's poultry stock. Pullorum outbreaks were a widespread problem 100 years ago. It has been kept in check by the NPIP program that was instituted in the 1930's

If you want to do none of the above, then it's fine to just keep the birds in your backyard and go about your business.

I think the OP has a valid point....theres a big difference between requiring that a vet certify your flock as healthy and requiring that
only the government can do so!
I wonder why that is....

We are from the government, we are here to help....

Back
Top Bottom