Wierd larvae in poop!?

HappyClucker7

Bantam Queen
7 Years
Apr 28, 2016
New York
So, I was cleanig out the coop today when I notist all these wierd larvae in the poop. They don't look like maggots which I am really really happy about, but I'm not sure what they are. I have seen a lot of flies in the coop, so could they be fly larvae? They are white and sort of rectangular. Will they hurt my chickens? And, what can I do about them? Please help! I really don't want anything to happen to my girls!

This is a bad year for flies! As long as you keep the coops clean your hens should be fine. You may want to keep an eye on their bottoms as poo build-up sometimes accumulates around the vent area. If this happens it can cause flystrike (where the flies lay their eggs in the poo) and the hatched maggots eat the flesh around and sometimes inside the vent.

This is a bad year for flies! As long as you keep the coops clean your hens should be fine. You may want to keep an eye on their bottoms as poo build-up sometimes accumulates around the vent area. If this happens it can cause flystrike (where the flies lay their eggs in the poo) and the hatched maggots eat the flesh around and sometimes inside the vent.

Thanks! I will check them right now.

Back
Top Bottom