WILD AFRICAN MUSCOVY DUCK

And props to you, Spur winged geese along with many other species of wild geese are super hard to hatch ( also spur winged geese are super territorial so u might not want them to be around your chickens when they get older( they can kill other poultry by how aggressive they are) but just get them ready for the wild :) thats where they were meant to be, just make sure they have the love and care that every animal deserves :)

Hi Buck Oaks

You are correct. They are Spur-Winged Goose. (Plectropterus Gambensis) My problem is that English is not my first language and I translated their specie incorrectly from Afrikaans into English .I looked them up in my "Birds of Southern Africa" book and found their correct specie there.

I made them a little enclosure and took them outside for the first time this morning. They enjoyed being out in the sun. I have mixed chicken starter food into their water and they have emptied their bowl twice.already.

My intention is to keep them only until they are ready to be released into the wild. Keeping them in captivity would defy the whole object of rescuing the eggs and incubating them in my incubator.

Attached are 2 photos taken this morning (17 October)

Do you have them in the USA as well?

As a fellow souf efriken I would like to say: ag moeder hulle is te oulik.. Hahaha my afrikaans is worse than your English.
1f609.png

Hi Buck Oaks You are correct. They are Spur-Winged Goose. (Plectropterus Gambensis) My problem is that English is not my first language and I translated their specie incorrectly from Afrikaans into English .I looked them up in my "Birds of Southern Africa" book and found their correct specie there. I made them a little enclosure and took them outside for the first time this morning. They enjoyed being out in the sun. I have mixed chicken starter food into their water and they have emptied their bowl twice.already. My intention is to keep them only until they are ready to be released into the wild. Keeping them in captivity would defy the whole object of rescuing the eggs and incubating them in my incubator. Attached are 2 photos taken this morning (17 October) Do you have them in the USA as well?
Nope, well some people might as ornamental fowl pets ( fancy ducks/geese) but no, we don't have them in the wild

Our Spur Winged Goose are now 6 weeks old and they are following us all over the yard. I have taken them out of their encolsure and they are totallly free to come and go as they pleasse. To keep them safe from predators they sleep in our enclosed entertainment arrea but are not caged in.

Taking a nap in the late afternoon sun.

One died and I sold two to a guy who keeps a huge variety of ducks and geese - almost like a bird sanctuary/bird park. We are keeping these 4. I don't think that they will leave for now. They roam free but stay in our yard. We keep them fed and supplied with enough water. They might fly of some day and join the others in the wild. There are lots of them as well as Egyptian Geese on the farm and around our house.

Thanks for the update and pics! They always look so awkward at this age. Like a mix between an ostrich and a velociraptor. :)

Back
Top Bottom