Wild bird eggs - NO I didn't take them **UPDATE**

Well I did some research, and they might be Starling eggs instead of Robin eggs.... yeesh... I guess we'll see what comes out! if it looks like a practical joke of mother nature, it's probably a starling... but if it comes out cute, it's probably a robin. Starlings are awful pests where I live...

At least the starlings are legal to keep as pets, so you wouldn't have to worry about breaking the migratory bird treaty. They actually do make great pets. They will eventually talk since they are mimicking birds, and they are very comical little creatures. Just watch your eyes
roll.png
I went to the hospital over a starling peck to the eye and it wasn't fun. The end of their beaks are like ice pick tips

Last edited:
Yup, starlings make great pets, horrific pests. If that's what they are and they survive--I vote for keeping them in your home. Of course, they do make that AWFUL noise. Apparently, at the higher end of the tonal scale, their song is quite beautiful... if you have the right receptors to hear it that way... for humans--not so much.

Good luck in any event. It sounds like you've got the determination, and hopefully you'll be able to find the resources. I hope it comes out well for you.

God bless for trying to save them.BUT I did the same thing several year's ago when my brother's cat caught a mama robin with babie's she had nested on her front porch.It's not an easy job raising wild bird's.We have barn swallow's here and We sit underneath the corncrib where they have nest and 2 group's have been raised already this year.They work ALLL day getting food for them.If you find some fledgling's with a couple of weeks of feathering's they will have a better chance of survival than a newborn.They are hard to raise and most people don't have the time to dedicate to them.A local Amish community here has some that hand raise cage bird's like lovebird's etc.It's a very grueling time consuming task so just be sure you can dedicate the time if you choose to try.

You're taking on a really tough task.....I admire you & it's exactly what I would do!
big_smile.png
The incubating will be easy, the feeding will be VERY hard. You'll be feeding them at least every 15 minutes all through the daylight hours (dawn to dusk) for a few weeks. Be prepared to take them with you EVERYWHERE you go.....you CAN NOT miss a feeding. The death rate may be high no matter what you do....experienced rehabbers lose many. Wild insectivore birds are EXTREMELY difficult to raise! I've raised a few this way:

Food: best quality canned PUPPY food (beef...science diet or iams).....baby cereal (plain wheat OR rice not combinations & without additional iron, the kind mixed with water)... boiled egg.

Batch: 1 cup dog food
1/4 cereal
1/4 chopped boiled egg
Put in blender.....puree....if needed add water just a drop at a time until mixture is a slurry...the consistency of thick pancake batter I would say.
Refridgerate in tightly sealed container. When needed, put a few spoonfuls in small cup to heat.

Feeding: microwave mixture to body temp.....Use a syringe (without needle of course) to draw up the mixture....place tip just to the back of baby's throat & squirt a little in....they will peep & open mouths until satisfied.....do this ALL DAY LONG! Every time you feed them, use one little sound...a certain whistle or the same word so they'll associate that sound with food.... you'll see why at the end.

Heat: best is a heating pad...check temp with the back of your hand...if it feels warm & comfortable, it's just right. Don't use a heat lamp like you would for chickens as they can't get away if it gets too hot. Use the original nest if possible or a small plastic butter container lined with paper towels. Place the heating pad under. Place all of this inside another container (plastic tub, shoebox, etc) just to protect from drafts.

Feed this mixture until they begin to feather....then add mealworms to the diet....use blunt edged tweezers or foreceps & alternate a little mixture & a few mealworms. When they're fully feathered & active (you'll know), go all insect (mealworms, baby crickets, mayflies, anything you can catch except beetles & moths).

When they begin to hop out of the nest & test their wings...you'll need to put them in a cage for safety. Now it's time to prepare for flight.

In a safe small room (no cats, etc) ...I use my bedroom (soft landings)...when they're hungry, place them on a dresser or table ....use the special feeding sound....until they fly to you for the food. Trick is to have them take-off from a point higher than you are mimicking the flight from nest to lower bush with the bird Mom. The first time you may have to tease them with the mealworm & have them reach out...that first time is the hardest. Reward with a feed any attempt, even if they just landed on the floor....it'll get better very quickly!

Once they're flying well.....then it's time to do what you'll hate to do. Remember you've done your part...now it's their turn to be wild & free.

I've had babies I raised hang around the yard for awhile.....they would land on me & I'd give them mealworms....& then after awhile, instinct kicks in & they move on.

Good luck to you & if you ever have questions, feel free to contact me. I'm a zookeeper & vet tech...if I don't know the answer I can surely find out!

Pat

Thank you, Pat, for the detailed information!! That's wonderfully helpful! I'm excited to try this. I know it might be one grand disappointment at the end, but what else can I do? I could see a tiny wriggling inside the shell. I think the one egg is about seven days along, and the second about five, and the third might only be day 2 or 3 (or unfertile, or ceased developing). I read that robins hatch in 12-14 days, typically!

I seriously suggest you use cat food instead of dog chow. If you looked at the website I posted, you will see that insectivores REALLY need more protein than what is available in most dog food. Although, you can use dog food, you have to make sure it has the right percentage of protein, which is hard to find.

Back
Top Bottom