Will an EE Roo over Barred Rock hens Produce Sexlink chicks?

Will the chicks be Sexlink?

• Yes

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
ah.. and you will have 90% chance of all the pea comb pullets to lay colored green eggs...
celebrate.gif

pea combs without linkage to the O gene is not rare in EE stock(bred to lay full range of egg colors, including tans/browns). This mating will be a great way to test if he's homozygous or het for O gene.

You'd better hope that rooster IS Columbian restricted and not carrying het Dominant White.
wink.png
I once had an EE like him who, like most het dom whites, is hard to tell from a columbian carrying duckwing because both have black tails, however, my male ended up giving me 50/50 white birds, so, he was carrying white.

If yours does carry white, 50% of the offspring will also be pure white at hatch, and cannot be sexed until older.

Only one way to find out though.

Illia, if he were split for dominant white, wouldn't he have a white tail?

With that coloring around his neck, I'd expect him to be split Silver/Gold. To me, he looks a lot like some red sex link roosters I've seen, but I'm certainly not going to say he is a red sex link. He is an EE. Who knows what his background is?

If you hatch eggs from him with a Barred Rock, if all the chicks are black, you should be able to tell the sex by looking for the white spot. If half of them are black, I think you still have a pretty good chance with that half. It's the others you would not know.

You'd better hope that rooster IS Columbian restricted and not carrying het Dominant White.
wink.png
I once had an EE like him who, like most het dom whites, is hard to tell from a columbian carrying duckwing because both have black tails, however, my male ended up giving me 50/50 white birds, so, he was carrying white.

If yours does carry white, 50% of the offspring will also be pure white at hatch, and cannot be sexed until older.

Only one way to find out though.

They can have black tails. Mine did. It all depends on how far from a pure dom white they were bred, and in hatchery-based EE's there is no telling until you breed them.

Babies hatched yesterday! although i couldn't tell you which of the two barred's laid the eggs, but their are 3 babies, two are black one is very dark grey almost black no head spots on any of them and they have white bottoms! chick that is almost pure black has pure black legs as well while another has black wash over pinkish legs and the last one has wash down the front of the legs with pure yellowy pink feet. i guess when breeding and EE roo to non EE hens the chicks could be anything. he baby whith the most white is also the very dark grey almost black chick.
Here are a couple picks, are they still sexlink? if so whats boy or girl with no head spots? Please excuse the other colors of chicks they aren't from this cross!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom