Will Human Urine deter a fox???

*le sigh*

You just described my whole life. Boys & tinkle, all day, everyday.

Maybe if you were preggers, the urine would work. Hmmmm....lord knows mommies to be could use another way to make $$.

No... Urine is an "attractant" to most animals... especially K9s... That is how "all" animals communicate with each other! Gross to us, but nirvana to them... Pee all over your coop and attract every preditor within a mile..
big_smile.png

Same report here: peeing (human OR canine) doesn't seem to help at all...

I just started, for the first time (except for 4H as a kid for one summer) keeping a flock this year. We have 12 Cornish Rocks (I think that's the breed--Tractor Supply's salesman didn't know when I bought them from their store) and I've been taking my Sheltie out every day and walking him near the chicken pen and hutch for about eight weeks resulting in him contributing heartily around the bushes and grass with his wee pee. This may be too much information, but whenever the urge hits, I, too, have helped the cause. Since I usually take him out first thing in the AM after I get up, we usually do our things together outside--both saving flush water and, presumably, deterring foxes. However today we had our first attempted fox strike. My wife was sitting in the living room watching the hen house and heard a great commotion from the local crows. She then noticed a red fox creeping up on the chickens, walking right over the spot my dog and I had christened this morning. Don't know how scientific this is, but it seems clear that the pee theory is a myth, at least here in upstate New York. With red foxes. On Sunday. In the summer.

My wife ran out immediately to chase the fox away, btw. We credit the crows for sending out warning cries and alerting us. Had they not been upset and putting up a fuss and my wife not realizing it, there is no doubt that we would be missing chickens tonight.

- b_r

Last edited:
Quote:
More then a few trappers have a trapline dog they watch where the dog whizzs and that is where they set their traps. it is much easier when the animals show you where they are visiting. The dog will go where another canine has already gone. Red fox is the least dominant pred in N.A. it is the best one to use to attract grey fox or yotes to a trap with .

Not sure what type of dog you have, but have you heard of the Maremma Sheep Dog? It's a breed from Italy that is used for guarding flocks(sheep). They are an actual predator of the wolf. I know a lady that raises them and before she got them was always losing chickens to coyotes. She never had another loss after. They protect your yard and animal as that is what they were bred for. Just thought i would ask!
smile.png
Lisa

Back
Top Bottom