Will My Cracked Egg Still Hatch?

Pics
I may have just screwed up. I had an egg with a crack in the end about day 17 but there was blood dripping down from the crack, we threw the egg out, I hope I didn't kill a chick.

We have had trouble this brood time with a hen pecking developing eggs (she is in solitary confinement now). I hpe this little hen stays broody for another 21 days to hatch the replacement egg.

Got my 24 barnyard mixed eggs in the mail today. One was totally smashed and one had a hairline crack from top to bottom. I almost threw it out and then remembered this thread. I put wax on it and placed it pointy end down to climatize. Cross your fingers!!
fl.gif

I candled my cracked egg tonight and I do believe it's a quitter
barnie.gif
But, I will leave it in the bator a few more days just to be sure. I will post more then.

I am so thankful for this forum! Candle wax for a cracked egg, who would have thought? I have 2 broodies that were still in their regular nest boxes and were both wanting to sit the same 5 eggs. When I saw them fighting for the mommy spot I split them up but it was too late, one of the eggs (on day 9) had a couple of good dents in it. As the membrane was intact I put wax on it. I moved the better broodie to a safe nursery crate tonight with fake eggs to get acclimated and left the real eggs under the other broodie for one more night. If all goes well I will swap them out tomorrow. I do hope the wax works and this little one makes it!

I have good news and bad. This morning there was yet another hen, a non broody, in the nest laying her egg. My wax coated broken egg was totally broken now. Thankfully it ended up not being fertile after all. I have had no success candling my dark brown eggs! The valuable take away for me is to never again let a hen sit in the normal nest boxes in their hen house. I had plans all along to move her but needed to set up her new location and thought things would be ok for a week and a half at the beginning....not so. It is especially hard with a very broody breed like Marans that are all wanting to hatch those lovely eggs and trying to squeeze their way in!

I had to toss out my cracked egg, it developed a blood ring. This egg came to me cracked (shipped eggs) so I'm not sure how long it had been cracked before I was able to wax on it. It was worth a try!!

Back
Top Bottom