wing bitten off at elbow

eustacia vye

In the Brooder
May 7, 2016
Graphic wound photos.
Hi Folks. My Chicken Ethelberta was attacked by an Opossum who attempted to drag her out of her coop through a hole. She did not fit and so it bit her wing off right at the elbow joint. I have been treating the wound myself. this is what I have done:
cleaned the wound with water and mild soap
-cleaned the wound with Vetricin
-applied over the counter antibiotic cream
-applied non stick wound pad
-wrapped wound with gauze
-Started her on Birdtiotic- amount somewhat unclear since I mix it in with her food but I give her about 25mgs of Doxycycline powder (doxycycine hyclate)
-I have changed the bandage a few times. but not daily since I want to keep the wound moist and clean and somewhat undisturbed.
She has layed two eggs since the accident and is lively and not showing overt signs that infection has set in.
If you have experience in dealing with traumatic wound with bone exposure please comment on my protocol.
If you suggest I bring her to a vet I can't. It isn't going to happen. I wish I could.
thank you so much.
Top photo is the wound bandaged- one week after attack.
IMG_7344.JPG

wound 1 week later- the end of her humerus bone is exposed at the very bottom at far as I can tell
IMG_7372-1.JPG

wound immediately after washing after finding her on memorial day.
IMG_7342.JPG

wound when I first found her may 27th

I'm sorry I have no advice for you. But I am sorry this happened to your chicken, and I'm sorry a vet is not an option. All I can offer you is the power of prayer which I believe is very powerful. I believe God cares about you and your chicken. Please keep us posted.
:hugs

I find nothing lacking in your wound care protocol. You are doing everything I would do. Keeping the wound clean and moist are the two most important things, and you appear to have a very good understanding of that.

Chickens are truly remarkable in their ability to heal from even the most traumatic wounds. Your little girl is in good hands.

One of my older hens is missing a wing. I have no idea what happened to it, she was like that when we got her. She just has this little nub sticking out on her left side where a wing should be. Is it the result of an injury? Congenital deformity? Who knows. It doesn"t bother her and she gets along fine. I call it her "lucky fin." Like Nemo.

With care I think your hen will heal. Don't let it get infected or bumped, and don't let the other chickens peck it. You know all this. Let Nature do what Nature does. In time it will granulate and heal over.

And if your hen does not yet have a name, may I suggest "Peace"? As in, Give Peace a Chance. Or are you too young to catch the reference? It was a Beatles song. Google it. ;)
:gig

Poor girl ! I think what you are doing is exactly what you should be doing. It's what I did... everything that I learned in that thread is condensed in this article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/skin-wounds-healing-with-honey-and-sugar.74755/
but mostly I learned that chickens have amazing healing powers.
I cleaned mine at minimum once daily. Make sure there are absolutely no feathers or debris in the wound bed, as that will help infection set in. Personally, I would utilize iodine over hand soap, which can be found at walmart. It is a very effective antiseptic wound cleanser. Also, neosporin/antibiotic ointment works great, but google sugar wound healing. Veterinarians are literally putting sugar into wound dressings, because it debrides and heals in half the time. I tried the sugar, it worked like magic, then I invested a little and tried honey, which was much less mess and just as good.
Just a heads up, when it starts to heal, she will attempt to peck at it. At least my rooster did, he can be ornery lol. After about five days, I had to cover his head with a sock tube when I undressed it, or he would literally attack his own wing.
In the article I linked someone that used stockinette as a "wing wrap", and it worked really well. I was able to put him back outside while he was still healing with stockinette on (didn't have to worry about dirt/crud getting in).
Good luck with your girl ! :hugs:fl

If at all possible, get her to a Vet. The color has me concerned, does it smell?
Where are you located?

:bow @dawg53 @casportpony @azygous @aart @Texas Kiki @WVduckchick @Wyorp Rock :hugs Thank you in advance
She is a silkie so her skin is black. there is no signs of infection that I can see- no bad odor, no puss- so far. She is eating and not lethargic. My big concern is that infection will set in and how to try to ward that off. I also don't know how long to keep the wound bandaged and how often to change the bandages. A doctor friend recommended bactroban and betadine.

Back
Top Bottom