wing bitten off at elbow

She is a silkie so her skin is black. there is no signs of infection that I can see- no bad odor, no puss- so far. She is eating and not lethargic. My big concern is that infection will set in and how to try to ward that off. I also don't know how long to keep the wound bandaged and how often to change the bandages. A doctor friend recommended bactroban and betadine.

Never had a Silkie, although my Grandgirls have 3. Did forget Silkies have black skin :oops: :hugs How is she doing :fl

Never had a Silkie, although my Grandgirls have 3. Did forget Silkies have black skin :oops: :hugs How is she doing :fl
She seems to be well. Her bandage fell off today and I have to decide how much to clean/debride, or if I should just clean with vetricin and rebandage with antibiotic cream. I have been reading very helpful articles people have linked so I feel like she has a chance.

Good news. On closer examination of what is really a grizzly wound I was able to see that her bone was not bitten off at the elbow- lots of flesh and muscle were bitten off but the bone is there and intact. the wound is making more sense now as it heals. I feel idiotic that i thought it was now that I can see it more clearly. last night I cleaned it, coated it in bacitracin and sugar and then rewrapped it with nonstick pad and gauze. She is eating and seems to be doing well. I only had organic powdered sugar but it seemed to adhere easily. I did feel a little heat around the wound but have done what I can to disinfect it.
IMG_7408.JPG
this is the underside of the wing that I was not able to see earlier
IMG_7407.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7372.JPG
    IMG_7372.JPG
    385.1 KB · Views: 5
we seem to have avoided infection so far. a chunk of original scabbing seems to be falling away. Still looks pretty brutal. I am still using bacitracin and have added honeymed when I rebandage. Feeding her 25 mg of doxycycline a day. She's eating and moving around. time will tell.
IMG_7440.JPG

Back
Top Bottom