Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Pics
Afternoon... littlefarm_bighappy
welcome-byc.gif
the mad city chickens are doing a great job. The coop tour is always worth checking out.

chickenkid68... I love the 20 week window for laying. Getting close, eh!
frow.gif

I'm eyeing up the wild grapes that grow on our fence line. They make jelly better than any commercial variety. We do the wild grape jelly every year....going on 30+ years...the flavor is a delicacy.

The commercial grapes make great wine though...
wee.gif

Enjoy your harvest, your way. It's always best when you do it youself, saving all nature has to share, is truly a blessing. More folks should live green, and enjoy everything nature has to offer. The quality is better than any store bought product.

~ bigzio

Being relatively new to the WI area I had no idea that these grape vine looking things actually produced grapes that people ate! We are in buckthorn removal mode on our woods and pulled down a ton of these vines a few weeks ago and they actually had a good number of grapes on them. If I had only known. Had hubby leave the big stalks about 3 feet tall and hopefully I will get a row started of these. I have about 4 good ones to train. Have to look this up sometime on the web. It is good to see that people actually make jelly out of them. I wondered.

It's still 49 degrees here. I haven't given in and turned on the pellet stove or any heat for that matter. DH says he'll clean the chimney this weekend. But we're pretty cheap. It's gotta get colder than this for us to turn the heat on. The last two nights we slept with the window open. I'd keep the window open a little almost all year if my DH would let me. But once it's below fourty then he turns on the heat. It's funny. He's the first to turn on the heat in the winter and the first to turn on the air in the summer.

I picked all my tomatoes today. Only a couple were pink. But with the frost tonight.....I just couldn't cover them all. And didn't want to take the chance. So now my patio table is covered in tomatoes, and covering them, a thick blanket.

Whew! 10 qts of grape jam put away! The house is a sauna!!!

No heat on in this house either...... I like to pay that gas company as little as possible since they rip us off every year...........
rant.gif

Now, all I need are more screw lids for my jars and it is on to the apples...... more sugar too.

Quote:
Hey bigzio,
Yeah, I am a little worried cuz I hadn't put any additional light on them before yesterday. Hopefully they will still start laying. I have heard that 20 wks is right, but with so many others reporting "early" eggs it is getting me anxious!

Quote:
My girls are just starting to lay too. I haven't put any extra light in the coop. I don't plan on it either. I figure they will get it anyway.

Last edited:
Hi
Haven't been on here for awhile....but I am hoping for possible advice.

My husband and I are ending our chicken enterprise. Half our stock will be culled unless someone wants non-layers for pets... they are layers, just pretty much done laying. They might perk up if they had a good spoiling by chicken lovers. They are black stars.

The other half are barely a year old and excellent layers. We have a selection of RIR, NHR, a really nice EE roo who I really want to get a good home that will want him for a pet... (he needs to grow his tail feathers back from the nasty hens....he's gorgeous when he's feathered and he's very sweet, not aggressive at all. I raised him by hand in the house. He would probably be best if he could be adopted with a few of his current ladies. He is quite attached to them...seriously, but that's a different story.) And we have brown leghorns...skittish, but sweet. All of the chickens mentioned in this paragraph have been hand raised and socialized in our living room over last winter. They would make very nice pets, and they are excellent layers.

I am hoping someone in the Milwaukee, Madison, New Berlin area would know of, or would like to adopt some chickens....Please let me know. You can contact me via my email link here. Or you can PM, but email is better, if you can.

Thanks so much...P.S. I won't do craiglist. This is an offer for people I trust and I think will give my chickens good homes.

We are not happy about this, but we just had a new baby, and about 30 chickens in the winter are just too many...esp when we are not selling enough eggs.

Thanks! Hope someone will be interested in our chicken ladies and one gent.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom