Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Today my chickens are happy!
I let them out to run around the yard/field.
Eddie is no longer with them. He went to a new home yesterday. He is in a group home with chickens/hens& roosters, turkeys, geese, and ducks. with lots of room to roam.
I'm thinking of fencing off a large area, including a small wooded area this spring, so I'd be interested in comments on fencing, cost and functionality.
Electric or not?
Also trying a new feed made at a mill just east of Baraboo. Milled there.
I've got F&F crumbles in the hen house and this new feed in the run. So far the new feed is being eaten mostly.

1707680057835.png

This is from October when I brought Eddie home from the poultry show.

Barn sparrows eat lots bugs, mosquitos..... They will migrate back to the US from South America and go to where they were hatched. I always hope they will get lost and go to someones elses barn, but they always come back.
I think you mean Barn Swallows….

Bird flu: elimination of the weak, strengthen the gene pool. The mass killing of poultry is nuts.

Tornado was down by Evanston WI

I think you mean Barn Swallows….

Bird flu: elimination of the weak, strengthen the gene pool. The mass killing of poultry is nuts.

Tornado was down by Evanston WI
I don’t see how the bird flu could ever be seen as beneficial. It is so deadly that it kills whole flocks in days. I would agree that euthanasia seems a bit pointless but not because I underestimate the disease. It’s because I know there will be no birds to euthanize.
There is 90-100 percent mortality rate in chickens within 48 hours. The tiny percentage of survivors would likely be vectors of the disease as with most poultry diseases, but I agree that they should be testing these birds, not killing them.
But this mortality rate is why poultry show cancellation by big chicken is slightly pointless.
It still is good to take precautions, but…
The chances of bringing in a carrier of the disease is a bit rare if your entire flock will be dead within 48 hours.
It’s the migrating birds, not the human-moved poultry that are spreading the disease.

56 percent mortality rate in humans (if they catch it which is rare).
But I’d say avian influenza is one of the worst diseases out there.
The black plague had a 30-75 percent mortality rate.

Last edited:
I am just wondering,, how do the migrating birds get into these large production chicken barns ?
You got me there, considering producers go into them wearing sterilized scrubs to protect their precious profits. And
Feces, feathers, and saliva cause the disease and even the smallest amount of this can infect a whole flock but if these guys are so careful, how do these infected substances even make it inside?

Last edited:
I am just wondering,, how do the migrating birds get into these large production chicken barns ?
Good question.
I have a neighbor up the road with 2 chicken barns, 2K in each barn.
I stopped to talk with him one day and asked if I could see the inside of the barn, and because I have a small backyard setup he said that he couldn't let me even if I suited up.
Very strict rules apply, so--I don't know!
I'd have to say that migrating birds getting into the barns is not how this happens.

Back
Top Bottom