Wizbang Chicken Plucker

I love this thread, I have really learned allot from it. Thank you all for posting and giving the information on this feather plucker. By the way has anyone made its partner the whizbang chicken scalder? If anyone has I would appreciate to see some pictures and have some information on how that went in building it.

Thank you again!

I am looking at building one also. I am not really interested in scrounging for all of the materials. I found this set of items to put towards building a plucker. Is $346 to much for all these items?

1 - 20.5" Diameter .190" Thick 5052-H32 Aluminum Feather Plate PreDrilled and chamfered on the back side

125 - Rubber Plucking Fingers

1 - 15.5" Steel Shaft with 3.5" Steel Hub (welded construction) to mount to the feather plate (This is predrilled for 4 1/4-20 Bolts)

4 - 1/4-20 Stainless Steel Pan Head Bolts (Attaching shaft to feather plate)

3 - 1/4-20 Stainless Steel Nylon Insert Lock Nuts

1 - Approx 22.5" Diameter Barrel Cut to the height outlined in the Whizbang Book (approx 20") and Predrilled for the fingers (Chamfered also)

2 - 2 bolt Flanged 1" Bearings (pillow Block). Both have 1 Grease zerk and 2 set screws.

1 - 2.5" Drive pulley (5/8" Bore)

1 - 14.25" Driven pulley (1" Bore)

Quote:
kimball price for items

16" pulley $54
125 fingers $100
shaft w/ feather plate $178

so considering just those parts are $332.....

one thing to mention. you can find the final rpm of the bottom plate by takeing the ratio of the pulley's and dividing them so 14.25/2.5 = 5.7 (5.7x reduction in speed) so 1750/5.7 = 307rpm based on the larger 16" pulley you wind up with 273rpm or some 11% slower. the commercial ones i researched seemed to have speeds in the 175-200rpm range.

can you build the same parts for cheeper? ya but if your not the handy type then that price seems reasonable.

idunno.gif
.... wonders if this thread is still active/open.

I am very interested in a Poultry Defeather/Plucker.
I watched some of the youtube links posted and a few of them sounded interesting.

::: waits to see if there is a response :::
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom