Wolf or Coyote urine. Does it really work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is not correct.

Urine of mammals is water, urea, salts, small amounts of amino acids and pheromones. Pheromones are the part used for communitication. Uric acid is the form of nitrogen typical of birds and most reptiles.

Really?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urine
9.3 g/L,
chloride 1.87 g/L,
sodium 1.17 g/L,
potassium 0.750 g/L,
creatinine 0.670 g/L and other dissolved ions, inorganic and organic compounds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uric_acid

(breakdown) product of purine metabolism and is excreted in urine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urea

http://www.healthier-cleaning-products.com/dog-urine-odor.html
Quote:
Most uric acid dissolves in blood and travels to the kidneys, where it passes out in urine. If your body produces too much uric acid or doesn't remove enough of it, you may get sick. A high level of uric acid in the body is called hyperuricemia.

Yes, really. When I teach metabolism to college students, degradation and excretion of nitrogenous compounds where are dominated by amino acids is major point. Your first citation is most in line with components influencing the solutes making up urine of most mammals which are typified by canids and humans. Purine metabolism in mammals is much less important in respect to its effects on urine chemistry since nucleotide breakdown is much less important volume-wise than protein breakdown.

Also look into organisms that are:
Ammoniotelic - operates best when water not limiting - ammonia is very toxic
Ureotelic methods - operates best when water limiting - urea not so toxic in blood
Uricotelic - operates best when water extremely limited - not so toxic but more expensive metabolically to make ammonia into

I have noticed coyotes marking over the urine of other coyotes just like a pet dog. It seemed like they were attreacted to the scent in order to unrinate over it. I don't believe it would work, but I look forward to lurking in this thread to learn more.

I have noticed coyotes marking over the urine of other coyotes just like a pet dog. It seemed like they were attreacted to the scent in order to unrinate over it. I don't believe it would work, but I look forward to lurking in this thread to learn more.

That is routine with animals scent marking, especially at territorial boundaries. Such locations are like walls or signs for human gangs. Marking is most effective against rivals in areas where neighbors frequent. If parties now each other as often is case with neighbors, they now about threat each poses to other if direct conflict were to arise. If scent quality goes down or someone fails to respond to your mark, then a territory may be ripe for taking. Whatever type of scent mark is left, urination, feces, foot pads, or other; you still have to occasionally back it up with at least a little direct confrontation whether it comes to blows or not.

Quote: That doesn't change the fact that there IS Uric acid and urea in most urine, as I stated, and it breaks down quickly , no matter what type of animal deposited it.

The question wasn't whether it's "important", or what was the precise chemical analysis of urine, but whether it will repel other predators.

The answer to that is still "no"

It's more likely to attract them

That doesn't change the fact that there IS Uric acid and urea in most urine, as I stated, and it breaks down quickly , no matter what type of animal deposited it.

The question wasn't whether it's "important", or what was the precise chemical analysis of urine, but whether it will repel other predators.

The answer to that is still "no"

It's more likely to attract them

The smell of roses or even blood can be used to repell a predator if they come to learn they are likely to be threatened when such smell is around. Conditioning operates with predators in wild as well.

Urine is pretty much urine, in that it is largely water and uric acid.

Within a very short time, the urea starts to break down into Ammonia, and it all ends up smelling pretty much the same.

As a repellent, it's just not worth the effort

a lot of this depends on specie and what time of the year it is and what they are eating

where your dog is relieving himself traps can be set and fox and yotes can be caught human urine also attracts rabbits skunks and porkys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom